Do i still need a software firewall?

Hi bought a Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless router deely yesterday and set up went like a dream. Great bit of kit.

My question is with the built in firewall do i still need zonealarm? I have both at present but the intrusion attempts couter on zonealarm is now static, no new attempts getting through to zone alarm. Several online security checks say my system is nailed down, and i quote from shields up, "From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet", now this sounds pretty cool.

Any advice greatly received!

Cheers peeps

I have exactly the same piece of hardware that is connected to a BT ADSL line and I switched my software firewall off and not had any issues, not saying that it is right.

I have not run a security check on it!! :blushing: Might just do one now and see what it has to say! :whistle:

You're fine with the router, unless you're one of those type of people that are paranoid about outgoing stuff...

Thanks Peeps, just as I thought. Have though about 'outgoing' but to be honest for something to be outgoing it has to get in first, as i am sensible online with email etc+with firewall, don't think this is an issue, off now to uninstall zone alarm!

Will update in a few days as to progress!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You should be OK without the software firewall as long as your PC stays behind the router when connecting to the Internet. IE: It is not a laptop that you would connect to the Internet with from say a hotel room.

Also make sure you don't have any kind of port forwarding turned on from the router.

If you have no conflicts or problems then run the secondary software firewall as some said it will block outgoing in case someone clicks wrong thing like this; http://maxxpsoft.com/files/adwarejunk.html

I found this on someones computer on a router with over 467 bad things from Adaware so went and done it myself to test.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to worry anyone, but, a router will allow any traffic out, block inbound apart from certain ports. This does not block trojans, spyware etc. from operating as they are eminating from inside your network (neither does XPSP2) Zonealarm will prevent any malicious programmes from gaining access to the internet - unless you specifically authorise the programme (or the service it is masquerading as)

My business networks utilise hardware firewalls and my home network uses Zonealarm, together with all OS patches - and a NAT router...

Cheers,

10forcash