K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

GDragoN

Hi,

how to silent install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.12? I would like to install some of the components, not all. Is it possible or not?

Millan

Yes, this is possible, if you would simply have searched the forum or google...

i think it is right that you have told them to look before asking.... but you should still try to help. give them the link. Only repeat offenders should be ignored.

@fourte3n: You're right, but it's starting to work on my nerves that almost every new member (and that's ALOT) are asking questions without searching in advance...

From experience, I'd say this is a problem on most forums, it's not just an isolated case. One popular solution is forcing people to wait a week or so before they can post for the first time - it forces to read and search for the answers first. It might sound rude in a way but even if it's annoying it does work... Many small things like that can be done but i doubt xper wants to do anything like that just before the switch to IPB 2.

That sort of a solution (restricting free speech) goes against a lot of principles. Figure out what I mean to say... 'tis better I don't expand on it.

Moreover, people normally register/sign-up to get help (or ask a question which they found un-handleable by themselves) - if they had to keep quiet without posting, they'd as well not register and keep browsing the forums as a guest. I do know it because I utilised this forum for 6 months, before I finally felt that I wanted to register - and when I did, that was because I wanted to immediately ask a question, and wanted an urgent answer!

Fact is, there's no need to do anything about this. Because, if someone doesn't know the answer (atleast on MSFN) they just pass through that thread without replying. If someone DOES know the answer, they reply. If someone knows that the answer has been discussed many times in the past, they reply saying something about searching - and that normally happens with a "fully-in-flow" participatory member, who feels that they got to help where possible. After some time, even they start getting annoyed and won't reply if the answer is obvious enough to be found - by that time, someone else would have either replied with a solution, or some other member is "in-flow" to comment about searching. If you feel annoyed about something, just don't reply - the thread starter will usually get round to using the search button after some days of no responses.

That's my 2c on this... nothing but a mass of thoughts... pass it by dudes - nothing worth the time spent on reading, in this post of mine. Of course, you're free to dis-agree and state your own view, but please keep replies on-topic (without straying off-course).

Hi,

First about KLite: All switches are right, I have checked that twice. Problem is somwhere in the installer, or something else.

Secont about new members: I agree that all new users must wait few days, but this will bring a new problem. If I need something quick and that was not been a topic on the forum yet, how to ask question. But simplies solution is to ignore already asked questins, and let people wait. I am trying always to read/search forum first, before asking something. But from time to time, I don't find right solution, and need to ask something.

Millan

Hi,

First about KLite: All switches are right, I have checked that twice. Problem is somwhere in the installer, or something else.

Secont about new members: I agree that all new users must wait few days, but this will bring a new problem. If I need something quick and that was not been a topic on the forum yet, how to ask question. But simplies solution is to ignore already asked questins, and let people wait. I am trying always to read/search forum first, before asking something. But from time to time, I don't find right solution, and need to ask something.

Millan

Well sorry for me getting rude... But as I said, I was getting annoyed... Maybe YOU aren't such a lazy member, but there's plenty out of them...

klmcodec112.exe /silent /loadinf=".\silent.inf"

and place the silent.inf in the same folder as the installer

This should work! Got it like this?

You are probably listing the parent of each group in the .inf file. This causes ALL items in that group to be installed no matter what is selected. So if you have something like this in silent.inf:

Components=player,player\bsplayer,video,video\divx,video\xvid,qt,qt\codec

remove the parent listing (colored red above) so it looks like:

Components=player\bsplayer,video\divx,video\xvid,qt\codec

Do this for all groups - player, video, qt, real, audio, filters, tools & compat. Once thats done it will only install what's listed.

Note also that some entries, such as video\divx, are also parents to third level options (video\divx\dec, video\divx\enc for example). If you only want to install some of these 3rd level items then you must also remove the entry for thier 2nd level parent otherwise, once again, all the 3rd level options will be installed no matter what else is selected.