Probably a hw problem

tiredoflogins

I see no reason to install 98 before xp (it's something I'd really want to avoid) unless it's a upgrade disc...

BIOS updating wise, if he was running xp fine before those 2 crashes (not like his post really says) then it won't help... It's definately not the first thing I'd blame anyways.

-If you could post more information about the BSOD's, that would help a great deal

-Having more information about your system would help a lot too (motherboard, etc)

-You can check your ram with memtest86 to make sure it's good

-You could try a disk scan (surface scan wouldn't hurt either)

-I'd check the power supply voltages in system monitor... many PSUs go bad like that and it causes problems too...

Could be just about anything right now and we don't have much to guess from.

You need to find out which make/model your motherboard is.

Then go to the manufacturer site and download latest BIOS update.

Make sure you get the one for your model.

Depending on manufacturer, you might need to download a bios flashing utility too.

You will need to follow the instructions given by manufacturer, tipycally:

1) Make a boot diskette

2) copy downloaded program(s) to diskette

3) reboot from diskette

Please note that flashing BIOS is somewaht a risky affair:

It is HIGHLY recommended that your PC is powered through an UPS and surge suppressor, as if the power fails whilst updating BIOS you could have an unbootable system.

Also, given nowadays poor floppy quality, it is recommended that you double check the files on the floppy can be read without errors.

If you post your Motherboard details, it would be possible to give you more detailed advice.

jaclaz

for asus mb's there are nice utilities that run from windows.

dl it run it from windows and it'll do neccessary things at restart.. i don't use floppy anymore!!

also even if u have a upgrade xp cd u can install fresh xp, u don't have to install 98 then xp.

• 5 months later...

how do i disable shadowing and caching in the bios? I get BSOD a lot even during installation. i've tried many different windows discs all have the same files not copying the first time through and i've tried different hd's and optical drives. please help!