Firefox v1.0 Preview

DigitalAZ

Ok... I never usually jump on the bandwagon and try stuff because there is alot of excitement surrounding it. I usually wait until I am convinced. But with all the people raving about it I decided to try it... and I still hate it :)

They keep giving these projects a different name but it is still NETSCAPE. Granted the menus have finally been revamped. The options section is very nice now. It just doesnt feel comfortable.

To top it all off... it uses TWICE the resources IE does.? :wacko:

I am not a big fan of IE but it does what it is suppose too 90% of the time and using half the resources of the Netscape clones.

Did I miss something really cool when I previewed it or are people just that hell bent on bashing IE?

actually.. i dont like firefox myself either.. but IE's resources seem soo little cuz when u r running IE u r running explorer 2.. so add up explorer's usage + IE's :P its all integrated into explorer

actually.. i dont like firefox myself either.. but IE's resources seem soo little cuz when u r running IE u r running explorer 2.. so add up explorer's usage + IE's :P its all integrated into explorer

Explorer is the shell... so when I am running Firefox I am still running explorer as well...

I can close all instances of explorer via Task Manager... which in effect removes my taskbar and only shows my desktop because I killed the shell. Launch IE and Firefox via Task Manager.. IE still has over half the resources. IE is intergrated into the OS not into Explorer per say.

At least that is how I understand it. I don't wish to really start a debate about which is better because it is just a matter preference. I was hoping the Firefox supporters could show me the light hehe :w00t:

The real point that firefox fans will seek to make:

Run firefox with 5 tabs open.

Run IE with 5 windows open.

And then see which of the two uses less memory resources. ;)

I'm not a firefox fan myself, just had to say how firefox is better when surfing tabbed.

The real point that firefox fans will seek to make:

Run firefox with 5 tabs open.

Run IE with 5 windows open.

And then see which of the two uses less memory resources. ;)

I'm not a firefox fan myself, just had to say how firefox is better when surfing tabbed.

hrm never tried the tabbed browsing. I think I will give it a shot. However I get annoyed by the taskbar grouping in XP so ... lol

I'm not a die-hard fan of any broswer, but Firefox is definately the best choice out there...

Firefox is not Netscape... Yes, there are similarities, but Netscape is definately in a league of it's own (Bloat league)...

Also, one of the powerful features of firefox is the extensions... you simply cannot beat tab browsing, ad block, and mouse gestures...

It took me about a week to get used to firefox... try it at least this long... but if it isn't for you... well it just isn't for you.

Try going to any site with umm nekkid ladies, unless your a minor. See how many pop ups you get with firefox vs ie.

The main difference I see it in, is when using multiple windows. I've had IE kill my memory with the windows, but firefox barely changes.

Tabbed browsing is a wonderful feature that takes a little bit of getting used to, but you don't have to use it.

The extension feature is nice too.

Go to cheapassgamer.com in both browsers, and tell me which one looks better.

I'm currently using 0.9.3, and have not had a problem with it yet.

Many people like to bring up the security features of ie vs firefox, but I say that firefox has to prove itself in this arena.

Just remember that ie wasn't considered that good of a browser till 4.0ish.

Ok so I am now converted to Firefox.

The tabbed browsing has grown on me, and pop blocking is superb. I always heard about the extensions but didn't understand what people were referring too. Pro Fire fox users should harp on this more.... This is the major selling point for me :)

I added an extension called Adblock which does just that.. blocks ads. You goto a site which normally has ads. Like say.. Hotmail.com and you right click on the ad and choose Adblock image. BAM! No more ad :) It is fun just going to sites and killing ads ROFL.

The other extension I tried was Web Developer Toolbar... omg... imagine going to a site you are working on and tell Firefox to outline all block level content! Curious as to why your tables are not formatting properly. Well now it is now secret

That is only 2 of the hundreds of Extensions. Anyone on the fence or doubtful.. just give it a shot one night when ya have some surfing to do. You will be please at the speed and ingenuity of tabbed browsing :)

Firefox gets :thumbup

EDIT : Wow I was so excited I got the following hehe

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message