Remote Desktop

aska98

Hi everyone,

I had a problem to set remote desktop. I want to connect from my house to my office computer using remote desktop, and i know my public IP address, but i still unable to connect from home to office's computer. What should i had to set in my rounter? There are several computer connect to the rounter and the IP address in office LAN is using DHCP. What should i do. Please help me..... Thx :(

Try reinstalling the remote desktop from ur XP CD (in case u r running XP)

It has NOTHING to do with that.

It's a matter of forwarding the proper ports to the computer you want in the router because of NAT. If my memory serves me well, it is port 3389. Forward it to the proper IP (you do have to pick one) and it'll work fine. Make sure to use strong passwords too as anybody can attempt to log in too once it's exposed.

crahak is on the right trail here:

It's a matter of forwarding the proper ports to the computer you want in the router because of NAT. If my memory serves me well, it is port 3389
Your company's computers (like nearly every other company) has a firewall and a NAT'd infrastructure.
the IP address in office LAN is using DHCP

Typically computers on DHCP also have a firewall/NAT in front of them to help protect them from attacks and such from the outside world. This means that you wil NOT be able to connect to any computers in your company unless you have your IT department setup port forwarding (very slim chance, security risk) or get what's called a VPN connection setup at home to allow you to connect to computers at work.

Port forwarding will basically opens up a security hole directly to your computer bypassing the firewall. This is NOT a good idea.

Ask your IT department about getting VPN access. It's much, much more secure and will allow you to connect up to your computer at work through remote desktop while still remaining secure.

Paul

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reply. I try to set the port forwarding in my route so i can use remote desktop to do some work in my office computer. But it can't connect the computer in the office. What should i put the port number is public port and private port? It is port 3389? I set the public port and private port number to 3389 and i using TCP and the IP address is my computer IP address, but still can't connect to this computer, what i had leave? Thx :(

Aska

If you're going that route....

The port forwarding outside port (public) should be 3389 and the inside (private) port should be the same, 3389. Also, yes the IP address is going to be your computer's inside IP (something like 192.168.0.xxx).

Now from home, the IP address that you are going to use is the IP address of your router/cable modem as seen from the outside world. If your router has a status page, or IP settings page it will show its gateway and DNS settings and its IP address. This should NOT be a 192.168.x.x IP. It will be something totally different!

that address is what you want to try and connect with,

Paul