Plugin suggestions etc.

Wraith

Over the coming weeks, I will be posting one topic for each plugin, giving people the chance to post suggestions for each one.

This will make it easier to implement if I only have to focus on a single one within a certain timeframe.

Until I do so though, use this thread to post suggestions for OTHER plugins, not existing ones.

Ones NOT to suggest:

• adduser/addgroup
  • execute
  • copy/move/delete
  • registry
  • shortcut
  • minimal/no display
  • windows-like display plugin
  • fully animated display plugin

All of the above are going to be worked out in the near future. If you have others, post below.

Already suggested:

• INF running plugin - suggested by MCT
  • Multi-disc plugin - suggested by buckeyeXP

hi,

what about 1 2 add inf.. i know u can do it with rundll

but maybe u can add that & have it like

<inf>blah.inf</inf>

it maybe a stupid idea :P but i wont know til i get a response :P

Give me the exact command to run the inf and I'll see if I can implement it.

However, I think it's just as easy to use execute it using the 'execute' plugin - this area is kinda like the adduser/addgroup one. For lazy people. :P

currently this is what i use in xplode..

<execute program='rundll32' arguments='setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 #WinDir#\RegTweaks\DaemonTools.inf'></execute>

just a bit of info..

#WinDir#\RegTweaks\DaemonTools.inf = path 2 inf.. u would use .\ if its in the same directory of xplode..

& DefaultInstall is the section in the inf u are "triggering"

currently this is what i use in xplode..

<execute program='rundll32' arguments='setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 #WinDir#\RegTweaks\DaemonTools.inf'></execute>

... and some of those things change depending on the script.

I'll see. Other things are more important at this stage.

yes, your correct, they can change.. but the reason i ask is .. i run about 5 inf files during install of windows.. and the time it takes 2 execute rundll 5x is like 30 seconds.. it doesnt sound like alot but it is :P

.... but the plugin would just run rundll anyways.

If you want a plugin to parse the inf by itself, you can write it - there's too much detail to go into writing such a thing, especially in the limited timeframe I have to work with.

*back to figuring out why his threads won't run*

A suggestion i have for XPlode:

Noticed that a lot of people DON'T use the log options you put in it!

You allready are getting REALLY mad about it.

Perhaps there's a way to make sure it is used by default..?

That way they MUST have one to look at when running into errors.

Just my 2 cents to help here..

If i'm not posting at the right place now, i'm very sorry, hope then that it can be removed!

I'm not getting mad, I just get frustrated with people that don't check all avenues as to why things don't work.

There's no point making the logging enabled by default - people don't like random files being created when making a new comp... :)

hi wraith,

please test your upcoming file-op-plugin if it works when there are special characters in the filename.

e.g. i have just found out that xplode v1.1.2 will hang if there are special characters like "%" or "&" in the filenames of copy/move/delete-operations.

(Spybot Search & Destroy and Alcohol 120% are my problems while moving them around in the start menu)

hope this helps a bit

cya

Killer Bee

hi wraith,

but a "/nolog"-switch would prevent it.

Oh, and name it like the .xml which is called.

cya

Killer Bee

... and if they're running straight from CD?

I'd have to check if it's being installed from a read-only source, and if so, change it to somewhere on the hard drive.

I'd rather not - it works fine now, and the docs will have stuff regarding logging, and how to get it to work.

As for the fileops, I'll try to do so. Nothing of the fileops has been written yet, that will be in a couple of weeks.