msiexec /i ... or not? that's the question!

my2001

I thought WIHU could start msi files on it's own without a "msiexec /i msifile.msi" at the command line. But I'm facing problems when I try to install .NET Framework for example. I have to use msiexec /i on command line to get it working. Is this intended?

My install.ini says (example not working):

(...)
 DESCRIPTION.0.0=.NET Framework 1.1 inkl. deutschem Sprachpaket & SP1
 command.0.0=netfx.msi /qr
 workdir.0.0=InstCD\Komp\NetFramework\
 selected.0.0=0
 hidden.0.0=0
(...)

Hi, my2001!

Perhaps it's the same problem like mine, see here...

(which was a forgotten cmd.exe /c, but on the other hand, perhaps *every* command with a workdir.x directive has to get started by another process (be it cmd.exe or msiexec.exe)?

For your exact problem, I did a self extracting winrar archive (set to extract to a temporary folder and run the setup afterwards), it saved some space on the CD :)

does your example work with

(...)
DESCRIPTION.0.0=.NET Framework 1.1 inkl. deutschem Sprachpaket & SP1
command.0.0=cmd.exe /c netfx.msi /qr
workdir.0.0=InstCD\Komp\NetFramework\
selected.0.0=0
hidden.0.0=0
(...)

?

Simpler question, does the workdir.x directive work *without* starting cmd.exe (or msiexec.exe)? And, if not, why not?

TIA,

C.RAZY

Simpler question, does the workdir.x directive work *without* starting cmd.exe (or msiexec.exe)? And, if not, why not?

Yes, by all means! workdir.x directive does work independendly of using which command ever. It just tells its related command.x-program in which directory the latter one should search for probably needed files such as configuration files or something like this. :)

maybe also interesting: posting in another WIHU-forum thread

So I implemented registry shell\open\command execution as I said. command.x will be checked against registry if command is found there it will be used and each %1 ... %x placeholder in registry HKCR\<key>\shell\open\command will be replaced by corresponding specified arguments.

for example you'll find following command for .exe files in registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

"%1" %*

So if you would create a command.0 = test.exe 1 2 3

this will be replaced by "test.exe" 1 2 3

Inexplicably the command for .cmd and .bat files are the same which mean it should be executable directly too, which isn't the case during windows installation as I tested it once. So it is better to still use cmd.exe /c here.

Benjamin

• 8 months later...

I had a quick look in the forum but couldn't find anything regarding the following problem. How do i send a command like

command.0 = %wihu%\dotnetfx.exe /q /c:"install /q"

Whenever i want to executea command using " i get an error :-(.

is a cmd /c enough? can't try it here but will as soon as possible! or can i escape the " using \ in front of it?

thanks in advance

edit: strange - i gave it a try using another computer and it worked?!? the only difference was i omitted the workdir path...

edit2: even stranger:

command.0 = %wihu%\BestCrypt\bcrypt7.exe -S -G "Security\Bestcrypt"

doesn't work!!!

Anyone any ideas?

Something like "BestCrypt 7.12" terminated with code_1.Could be a hint for an error. STATUS_WAIT_1

I don't have the logfile handy right now, just a screenshot where the rest is missing...

I included the workdir.x= %wihu%\BestCrypt\ in my command also - i have to check it later whether it works or not...

Another problem i ran into: whenever i use wihu to install my software (i'm currently trying to switch from wpi) i have problems with my autologin...

this is what i start:

%cdrom%\Software\wihu.exe /AutoLogon /AutoInstall=300 /Beep=30 /UseCurrent /SkipRestart /Log=%systemdrive%\Install.txt

i even tried the /UserPwd=xyz switch :-(

this might be a problem for me...

another q: is there an option to change the order in which the install options are listed? b/c if i'm right i have to change all subsequent commands if i want to insert a single one :-(

CODE 1 doesn't mean anything, just ignore this.

What problems with autologin do you have?

another q: is there an option to change the order in which the install options are listed? b/c if i'm right i have to change all subsequent commands if i want to insert a single one :-(

No there is no option, you have to reorder everything;)

Thanks for ur reply! My problem regarding the Autologon is that is simply doesn't work! I don't know why - i tried it again an hour ago using a VM and autologon doesnt work - is weird! Maybe its because i included an autologon in my user creation vb script? or was it in my reg tweaks? maybe those two settings just interfere?