Norton Partition Magic 8.05

DTM.inc

When I run it with

Setup.exe /S /v/qb

it says that

This MSI Installer needs to be run through Setup.exe

which I am doing. Seems to me that someone did a bad job at Symantec :( If I run Setup.exe /? it says to run silently use /S /v/qn which does not work :(

Both Symantec Norton Ghost 9 and Symantec Partition Magic 8.0.5 have the same behaviour.

UPDATE:

The command you're currently running - it causes setup to run, but setup fails. Since we don't want it to fail silently, (atleast knowing WHAT error is being caused would help) the below switch.

So, could you please use "/S /v/qb" switch and tell what the error in dialog-box is?

Its very much possible that the solution is as simple as some file is missing or corrupted, and so couldn't be copied during install.

If even that doesn't work, use setup.exe with "/A" switch and tell us whether its able to successfully complete making an administrative install point. If the AIP is created fine, then we can discuss the next step. :)

{LOL, ok mazin, don't laugh, you know my fad for AIP's here ;) }

:angry: Using "/S /v/qb" just does the initial attempted start up, but fails with no dialogue box.

:) Using "/A" I now have an AIP-woo hoo.

Am I correct in my assumption that your thinking is that now the setup.exe is out of the equation I can now run commands straight throught the Norton PartitionMagic.msi ?

Yes, an AIP direct-from-MSI install should work properly if all went well. Did the AIP get created properly, without any errors?

If so, then just go into the folder where you told it to put the files, and run the MSI with "/QB" switch. Do post back, on whether it succeeds or whether there's still errors.

Yeah, some MSIs need to be called through the setup.exe alone, only then they work.

Anyways, if you could see what "setup.exe /?" outputs, and post that here, and any "setup.ini" that may be in the installer directory, there could be a possibility of what I was thinking. The .INI holds a few hints as to the switches to be used. ;)

In reply to this, here is the setup.ini

[Info]
Name=INTL
Version=1.00.000
DiskSpace=8000;DiskSpace requirement in KB

[Startup]
CmdLine=
SuppressWrongOS=Y
ScriptDriven=1
ScriptVer=9.0.0.333
DotNetOptionalInstallIfSilent=N
OnUpgrade=1
RequireExactLangMatch=0404,0804
Product=Norton PartitionMagic
PackageName=Norton PartitionMagic.msi
MsiVersion=2.0.2600.0
EnableLangDlg=N
DoMaintenance=Y
ProductCode={21DBBDD6-93A5-4326-9A04-C9A5C9148502}
ProductVersion=8.05.000
SuppressReboot=Y
PackageCode={3653243B-1621-45E2-942D-D5276BCB9289}

[SupportOS]
Win95=1
Win98=1
WinME=1
WinNT4=1
Win2K=1

[Win95]
MajorVer=4
MinorVer=0
MinorVerMax=1
BuildNo=950
PlatformId=1

[Win98]
MajorVer=4
MinorVer=10
MinorVerMax=11
BuildNo=1998
PlatformId=1

[WinME]
MajorVer=4
MinorVer=90
MinorVerMax=91
BuildNo=3000
PlatformId=1

[WinNT4]
MajorVer=4
MinorVer=0
MinorVerMax=1
BuildNo=1381
PlatformId=2
ServicePack=1536

[Win2K]
MajorVer=5
MinorVer=0
MinorVerMax=1
BuildNo=2195
PlatformId=2

[Languages]
count=1
default=409
key0=409
[Norton PartitionMagic.msi]
Type=0
Location=Norton PartitionMagic.msi
[Setup.bmp]
0=Setup.bmp
Type=0
[instmsiw.exe]
Type=0
Location=instmsiw.exe
[instmsia.exe]
Type=0
Location=instmsia.exe
[ISScript.msi]
Type=0
Location=ISScript9.Msi

Cheers :hello:

Yes, an AIP direct-from-MSI install should work properly if all went well. Did the AIP get created properly, without any errors?

If so, then just go into the folder where you told it to put the files, and run the MSI with "/QB" switch. Do post back, on whether it succeeds or whether there's still errors.

I'm still getting this message running the /QB switch

'To run a silent install you must either specify or overide this event (OnMsiSilentInstall()) and provide your own implementation.

This setup will now end."

:no:

@DTM

ok, so now we know what error it is showing. That's good.

These two lines here:

DotNetOptionalInstallIfSilent=N
MsiVersion=2.0.2600.0

Those lines have me thinking that maybe this application needs WindowsXP SP1 or higher, and the .NET framework to be installed. You could download/install those (follow the links in the previous sentence), and try the setup again. That might possibly be the reason - because, if you remember, Norton Ghost 9 needed the .NET stuff, to install and run properly.

Another thing, please edit your previous post - put the contents of the setup.ini within a [code ] tag (like in this post above). Otherwise, it becomes difficult to tell the difference between code content and your own words.

hey i've a suggestion

norton antivirus 2004 or systemworks 2004 had a similar thing

1 way to get rid of that error is to edit the msi in msi editor program and just get rid of the line causeing it. I'll dl the demo and post my results.

it should be fairly easy, should be on setup parameters to launch....

(this was the case on IntelliPoint software too...)

hoping it has a trial..

It's always possible to fix the .msi file like that or to repackage it altogether, but I guess I'm too lazy for that :lol: Instead of spending 3 days on it, I spend 5 minutes to make an AutoIt script... Leaves me time to take care of other problems instead :) Maybe I just give up too easily...

Hi DTM.ink...hahah...funny name...

I can help you with Partition magic, Norton is too colplicated for me at this moment... :unsure:

I tried out PM8 for myself, and i found that you can use a Registery tweak for it.

If you have allready installed and registerd PM8 on your pc, here's what to do:

Open regedit and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, look for Software,Powerquest, Userinfo, then export it to where ever you want as a *.reg file.

How to install it you can find this on msfn.somewhere...;-)

Greets Rick