How to cancel Microsoft WinXP Pro in menu bar

jacmatsu

When I turn on the computer, and then go to menu bar for choosing which Windows we use, there are 2 same Microsoft WinXP Pro in the menu because I install WinXP 2 times. Now, I already the second times installed WinXP, but the name "Microsoft WinXP Pro" in menu is still there.

How can I omit the name in menu?

Does anybody knows that?

Thanks a lot.

When I get in the windows, my computer will go a menu for choosing windows.

when open the computer, I will meet this menu

Please select OS :

1. Microsoft Windows XP Pro

2. Microsoft Windows XP Pro

3. Microsoft Windows

then I need to choose which windows I select, then get in it.

Thanks.

My boot.ini looks like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I really don't have the slightest idea how did you manage to change the boot ini file so it looks like that.... :unsure:

Try to use this article from Microsoft Knowledge Base:

link

C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

This is your Win 95/98/98SE/ME bootup

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "Windows XP Installation/Upgrade"

This is your WinXP install upgrade installation bootup.

So, so far as I know, you should change this to:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\
[Operating Systems]
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

* Maybe you could make a backup before you change it.

sorry, there are a few files which are same names, I check it again

Is this file, I need to edit. I think that this one is seem to edit, there are 3 choices which I talked about it before.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\OS\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Looks like you have really messed up your installation process. The following is my reccomendations:

1. It looks as if you have several drives, I would recommend that you put Windows 9x on one of them, if you have to, reformat it and reinstall it and it's applications, though you should be able to just move everything to it, if it's not already there, (unless you suspect that it's messed up,) you can safely do this within XP, though this step may not be necessary. Especially if it's already on it's own drive and it's not messed up in any way.

2. Once you have your Windows 9x on a seperate drive, (or partition if you so choose, though directions here will be assuming seperate drive,) unplug that drive from your system as well as it's power cables, only that drive. Install Windows XP to one of the other drives, (I recommend the one that you installed it to previously and wipe it out, (make sure you have already backed up all the files you want to keep on it first though,) you can do this as you install it, (if you have an upgrade only version you just need to put in a CD of a previous version of windows for verification,) When you get to the screen where it asks where you want to install Windows to, use the "D" option to remove all previous installations from that HDD, once that is done, create, ("C" option,) your new partition, (you can use the full hdd by just clicking on that newly deleted full partition and hitting "Enter",) I reccommend using between 20-30GB of that hdd for your Windows XP installation. Once that is done finish installing Windows to that newly created partition by clicking on it and hitting "Enter", I also reccomend using NTFS instead of Fat32 for the format here.

3. Once Windows XP has installed and you are into the desktop for the first time, (this is assuming you have made a partition for your XP installation,) you can go into Start->Control Panel->Computer Management->Disk Management and find the empty area that is still unformatted, and click on it, then either partition it further or just format it, (I am assuming your going to use the rest of the space and just format it,) using NTFS, unless you need to access it with Win 9x, then do it with Fat32 instead.

4. Reboot, make sure you can still get into Windows XP without any problems, then shut it down. Plug the Windows 9x drive back in and start back up, you should now see two options "Boot to Windows XP" and "Boot To Windows" You can boot to either drive from here, check out them both to make sure you have no more problems, if you do, it will be on the drive with Windows 9x on it, which requires either a reformat of it, or removal of it altogether. Your programs that you used with Windows 9x may or may not work with XP, all you would have to do is reinstall them in XP, and use the rt click option to get to the properties of the installer so you can change the Program Compatibility to Windows 9x for installation. This doesn't work on all programs though! The ones it will work on, will install and be usable within Windows XP. One more note on this subject, you may have to install them from the hdd instead of their CD's, which will require you to make a seperate folder on one of your hdd's to do the installations from.

I know this is long winded and there are other ways to do this, some are more favorable than others, this is the most definative way of fixing your mess up. It has happened to me in the past as well, and I found that just doing this worked best of all. Different people will have different results with various other ways, as none of the other ways was satisfactory for me, this was the way I did it, and will in the future. As messing around with the boot sectors on the hdd are out of the question for me, and changing the MBR is too hazardous for my tastes, so I let the software do it itself. If your reformatting the whole drive over, I reccomend using the software that comes from the manufacturer of the drive and doing a full erase of all the sectors, which will restore it to new and clear out any MBR additions that will be there from previous attempts on that drive. IF you have data that your not wanting to have erased from a partition on that drive either move it or, do not do the above as it will wipe out everything you put on that drive.

As I mentioned these are my suggestions, there are other ways of doing this, but this is the safest way I know how to make sure that you only have one of both operating systems. IF your trying to just upgrade your Windows9x then maybe someone else can point you to where you can find instructions on doing that, or you can just wipe it out entirely as well and start with a blank slate, even with an upgrade only CD of Windows XP, as all you need is the prior O/S's CD for recognition that it's there to do the upgrade, this can either be in a secondary CD drive, as long as both are connected to the system when doing the installation, or as a swap in an only CD drive setup.

HTH