XP and NEW HDs...?

I recently attempted to build a 2nd pc. In the process I removed the SLAVE HD (WD 120gb) from the main pc at the time and put it in the new pc as it was a larger drive.

While the BIOS did see a drive when it was connected as a Master HD, XP was unable to detect a drive, in the new pc being built.

XP did see this HD when it was being slaved off the main HD (Maxtor 40gb).

If I get it right, you had put your 120GB on the new PC together with a Maxtor 40gb?

Did you double check MASTER/SLAVE settings on the back of the drive?

Was the 120 GB formatted as a big LOGICAL partition?

Where from did you boot Xp?

jaclaz

If I get it right, you had put your 120GB on the new PC together with a Maxtor 40gb?

Did you double check MASTER/SLAVE settings on the back of the drive?

Where from did you boot Xp?

jaclaz

The original pc had the Maxtor (40gb HD) as Master and WD (120gb HD) as Slave.

The new pc was going to use the WD (120gb HD) set as Master being that it was going to be the only HD since the Maxtor (40gb HD) was staying in the now old/original pc.

Bios detected it, however when during the installtion phase of XP there was no HD detected!

WDs are a bit picky about their jumpers, so when you say you set it to "master", I assume you mean you set it to "master/single".

Has your mainboard an additional IDE controller onboard and did you connect the HD to that one? In this case you would need the drivers disk and use it by pressing F6 during textmode-setup.

--

Pyron

WDs are a bit picky about their jumpers, so when you say you set it to "master", I assume you mean you set it to "master/single".
Yes I did.
Has your mainboard an additional IDE controller onboard and did you connect the HD to that one?

Not 100% sure but I believe there's just the single IDE connector on the board for a HD.

In this case you would need the drivers disk and use it by pressing F6 during textmode-setup.

I tried searching WD's site for drivers for my HD but didn't find anything. Any help would be great as the model # is WD1200JB-00FUA0.

You won't need drivers, everything happens long before drivers come into play.

I am asking the above as maybe Xp needs a PRIMARY ACTIVE partition.

If this is the case, get Ranish's Partition Manager here:

http://www.ranish.com/part/

Boot from floppy and use it to partition the HD before booting from winXP CD.

Did you double check, if you have a single connector, that the CD is not MASTER as well or CABLE SELECT?

jaclaz

your master drive has to at the end of the ribbon, the second hard drive should one located on the middle, the other end is connected to your motherboard.

make sure that your jumper for the master is set to master.

secondary drive should be set to cable select, I think that is what the other poster meant to say.

go into bios, check to see that both drives are now visible.

if not do

1. Set your motherboard to auto detect. (if would be helpful if u posted the model no of your motherboard)

2. go to the website of your mobo manufacturer, update your motherboard. Some motherboards cannot dectect large storage drives.

3. reboot your computer.

Are u using RAID or SATA drives?

Your Windows XP CD is it slipstreamed with Service Pack2 or is it a plain windows xp cd?

lets start there then we will find a solution