Completely lost and in serious help!

Okay i just wanted to say a BIG thank you to all of you who have helped me so far, i no this must be really painstaking litreally walking me through everystep!!!

i should really have picked it up from now, but to be honest i really dont understand it, and even though i dont i want to continue, just for experience!!

remember, karma :D

toke.

Im 18, 2 years older than yourself. I am currently in a class at school. What I was trying to say is, even though someone is computer illeterate, its still quite easy. Let me explain.

@echo off Hides the C:\> Prompt and any commands shown in the batch file.

echo. Includes a line spacing.

echo message Prints "message" in a Command Prompt window, purely for commenting purposes.

title Sets the title of the window.

start Start an application, or an installation.

pause Displays "Press any key to continue..."

exit Exits the Command Prompt

see? it clearly displays everything that the commands do. Even if you havent done programming, it still shows you. It then goes on more to explain switchs and everything they do. Good-luck though.

When I first started working with this a few months ago I had only a little background in unattended installations but it really just takes A LOT of reading and some messing around with test machines, etc. I think the easiest way to start would be to follow the directions on http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/gettingstarted.htm step by step. Do everything it says even if your end goal is nowhere near it. This way it gets you understanding the concepts. Such as file and folder structure which is absolutly essential in understanding how this all works.

Trust me and everybody else here when we say you don't have to be an expert or even a real computer genius to understand it. There is no programming language you have to learn just some simple scripts. It takes many many revisions of an unattended installation to get it where you want it.

Just keep "hacking" away at it, and don't forget to read read read. We cannot stress that enough. Peruse the MSFN forums and read other people's posts and problems. I will tell you right now that after I got my CD where I wanted it I was looking around the forum and I kept getting more and more ideas to try to make it easier for my helpdesk to install XP. It is almost endless.

Goodluck with it and don't give up. There are soooo many helpful people on this site I haven't had a question that hasn't been answered either by reading the docs or asking.

i agree, i started this a month and a half ago. I have now gone from standard batch files, to runonceex, to XPlode to installing my unattended applications. I have added Logon, Background, theme, bootscreen and more. Added UXtheme and file protection hacks. In addition to slipstreaming all the updates, office 2003, and more. All this in a span of about 1 month.....ALL THAT...thats a LOT...what did I do? First, I learned you CAN DO unattended installs (I had NO idea of this community) until I read the guides here: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/inde...GINNER%20GUIDES Read the unattended guides.

Finally, I got linked to this fabulous site, where I enriched my mind in the main site.....this limited me.....UNTIL I FOUND THIS FORUM :thumbup Now i know everything, and continue to learn more. Its great fun, and makes yourself look professional. Go the way I did, start off easy, and read...LOTS..

xXTOKERXx

as you get older you will learn that greatest pleasures in life takes a great deal of effort, pain, hard work and perseverance.

you mentioned that you feel frustration bec. u hv been working

on your Unattended from 4 to 7:30. Dont think of it in hours but months and 1000 of hours of cont. learning and applying.

I presume most of the guys here spend at least 4 hours a day working

on their Unattended Windows XP. It has taken me months to learn

and apply the stuff i pickup at msfn. And everyday there is some new software or method to learn.

I am up to Integrating everything on DVD dual layer 9 gig disc. To install

all my applications and windows xp.

You will get there just be patient. Good LUCK.

P.S. u should just skip batch files and try runonceex.cmd

there is enough ex. in different post to get u 80% of what u need

to install and silently as well.

when u are ready check out

groups.yahoo.com/group/winntbbu

setup screens for xp

wow firstly i have a confession... Yesturday i was sitting at my desk and smoking blunts, which will explain why i got so confused..

i think i got a good understanding now, so thanks..

what i will do is, create a XP unattended, then test it, then add the tweaks, test again, then i will add my programs so that i have to follow the installation through, and finally once everything is in working order i will work on the batch files to ensure that i can leave it purely unattended..

sorry to be a n00b yesturday, i was impaitent because i was too stoned..

thanks for all the wonderful help all..

Toke.

I found out that testing the CD is vital, or one gets easily lost where the problems are.

Boot up some sort of Virtual Machine and everytime you add something new etc.

do the test run, program by program.

It is much easier to keep track whats happening during the install.

Oh yeah, I thought of making unattended in about few days but nooooo,

it dont work that way, the more I learn, the more I want to learn here.

Seems like the process wont stop anytime soon.

This forum is a Gold Mine.

:)