using the winnt.sif in xp sp2 update

lakshan

Just wondering if anyone known how the winnt.sif file can be used when you perform an update of sp2 (i.e. XP already installed and then running SP2).

The context of my question is that I have done a Slipstremed XP SP2 install from scratch using a winnt.sif, several reg tweaks and RunOnceEx successfully, however some PCs which I want to merely "upgrade". So the reuse of a winnt.sif I used in the freash install would be good if possible.

cheers

L

I'm not quite sure I understanded you...

You want to apply SP2 on (already installed) XP machines? Then you need absolutly not any winnt.sif... And even if you integrated SP2 on your cd, you don't need winnt.sif: you can have a XP SP2 disk without the use of winnt.sif...

ok sorry about the confusion...as it stands i have a PC with XP (no sp2)

Now I want to do an unattended install of SP2 on that machine using some of the answers I created in by winnt.sif file (or unattended.txt). i.e. I want to disable hearts, minesweeper and computer name (which I have done in the winnt.sif).

At the moment the only way of doing this is to do an unattended install of xp sp 2 (using the /quiet switch) and then running reg tweaks to do all the stuff I did in the winnt.sif file. This is not as nice as using the winn.sif, hence I was wondering if you can use the winnt.sif on a machine with XP already installed, when I perform an update to SP2

hi,

hmm just wondering

Isn't this the XPlode-subforum?

So why don't you use xplode for all this stuff so you can use it wherever you want?

hope this helps a bit

cya

Killer Bee

BTW: some of the things you can do easily in winnt.sif can be a pain to do after installation...

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how you can't get an answer here out of al places.

You need to tell winnt32 (since you are doing an upgrade), where your winnt.sif is located. It goes like this:

winnt32 /unattend:<answer file>

That's it...

If you need more switches, you can always read the deployment doc that is extracted from the deployment.cab file. You can also enter your product id in the answer file to avoid typing it ever again...

L8r.