.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

I just used your method, Dziubek, and after the extraction of my netfxsp1PL.exe, it say setup.exe not found. The window title is 7-zip

Oh and by the way there is a mistake in your batch file

START /wait NDP1-1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /XP:"%TmpDir%"

should be

START /wait NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /XP:"%TmpDir%"

Edited by saitoh183

OK, here's a link to a fully standalone, 7-zip based (Ultra compression), .NET 1.1 SP1 installer for XP SP2 (I've been told anecdotally that SP2's msiexec.exe isn't backwards compatible with SP1, but I haven't verified it). It requires no command switches to be operated. It extracts to a temporary directory and calls the MSI file, which is run with the /qb switch (sorry all you /qn nuts). Upon completion, all setup files are deleted and Windows setup continues on its merry way.

Enjoy :)

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/netfxsp1.exe (11.0MB)

EDIT: Special thanks to bitmonster and evilvoice for the help in creating the 7-zip installer.

can this be put under svcpack.inf ?

@hmaster10:  yes.

Shark

thank you :)

by the way, if i put this in svcpack.inf, i will not use any switches right, as they are already integrated in the self-extracting file?

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
MP10Setup.exe
netfxsp1.exe
KB873333.exe /q /n /z
KB873339.exe /q /n /z
KB883939.exe /q /n /z

Edited by hmaster10

netfxsp1.exe

i know nothing of those color entries.

just place netfxsp1.exe in there and be done with it.

EDIT, oh, that was for the board, they arent actually being enterred.

Shark

Edited by Shark007

Good info on this page. I've been trying to get a silent/switchless installer for .NET 1.1 (fully updated), but am still struggling with the following two issues:

- the language pack cannot be directly integrated

- Add/Remove Programs has an entry for the ASP hotfix, but it's useless since it cannot be removed manually from there

As a result, I now have three packages in one:

File 1 = Executable holding .NET 1.1 with SP1 and ASP hotfix slipstreamed

File 2 = .reg tweak to remove redundant Add/Remove Programs entry

File 3 = Executable holding Dutch language pack

For File 1, I made an administrative installation point of .NET 1.1 and slipstreamed the SP1 and ASP updates into it. Then I used 7-zip to create the executable.

For File 3, I extracted the content of the language pack, kept "langpac1.cab" and "langpack.msi", and turned it into an executable using 7-zip.

File 1 and File 2 were "merged" using IExpress (with the .reg tweak running post-install). After that, I fired up IExpress again to combine the previously combined installer (for Files 1 and 2) with File 3 (the latter running post-install).

ResHacker was then used to change the icon of the "main" installer.

Although it works, when I look at this, it sort of has a "patchy" feel to it. I can't help but think that there are better ways of doing it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@bitmonster

I'm not sure your make_add subroutine can add the Highmat CD update. This update is not the same type as jviewer and langpack so it does not use the same switches.

When I run your make.bat file, the application switch messagebox pops up when it gets to the Highmat update. You seem to say it works for you, I am doing something wrong?

dziubek got this small guide from bitmonster and now i get this from him (also thnks :) ) and upgraded his batchfile too.

Here is a small guide how to create your own install

.NET Framework 1.1 + .Net Framework 1.1 SP1 + KB886903 hotfix

if English is not your language, change the language in your language. (The mine is Dutch, so i change them to dutch) :

1. Get the .NET framework v1.1 re-distributable package and put it in a folder, let us called it FRAMEWORK.

2a. Get the .NET framework v1.1 SP1 update and put it in the same folder as above.

2b. Also get the NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86.exe hotfix here

3. Get 7-Zip and install it. Open the folder where 7-zip has installed and grab the 7za.exe. (i choose for the nonBeta to be sure to get a stable installer)

You also need the 7zsNOGUI.sfx, get it here(7zS NoGUI-> and rename the 7zSNOGUI.sfx to 7zS.sfx) and copy them both to your folder. You can deinstall 7-Zip now if you want.

4. Get the UPX-package (Win32 console version), unpack it and copy the upx.exe to your folder

5. Get the StartX-package, grab the StartX.exe out of the archive (you find it in the 'Release' folder) and move it to your folder.

6. Make a new batch-file in your folder, name it make.bat and paste the following text into it:

The next code is to create a netfxsp1NL packet because my language is dutch, if your language is Polish for example, rewrite all the NL to PL.

SET TmpDir=%~dp0tmp
SET BuildDir=%~dp0build\
%~d0
CD "%~p0"
MD "%TmpDir%"
MD "%BuildDir%"
MD "%BuildDir%netfxsp1NL"
START /wait dotnetfx.exe /C /T:"%TmpDir%"
START /wait NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /XP:"%TmpDir%"
START /wait NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86.exe /XP:"%TmpDir%"
CD "%TmpDir%"
START /wait msiexec /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR="%BuildDir%netfxsp1NL" /QB
START /wait msiexec /p S867460.msp /a "%BuildDir%netfxsp1NL\netfx.msi"
START /wait msiexec /p M886903.msp /a "%BuildDir%netfxsp1NL\netfx.msi"

CD..
RMDIR /S /Q tmp
COPY StartX.exe "%BuildDir%StartX.exe"
CD "%BuildDir%"
ECHO START /WAIT /Dnetfxsp1NL msiexec.exe /i netfx.msi /qb>install.bat
CD..

SET Target=langpack
IF EXIST %Target%.exe CALL :make_add

CD "%BuildDir%"
..\7za.exe a "%~dp0netfxsp1NL.7z" -r -mx=7 -mfb=255 -md=48m *
CD..
RMDIR /S /Q "%BuildDir%"
COPY 7zS.sfx 7zSC.sfx
upx.exe 7zSC.sfx
ECHO;!@Install@!UTF-8!>config.txt
ECHO RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT /B \"install.bat\"">>config.txt
ECHO;!@InstallEnd@!>>config.txt
COPY /b 7zSC.sfx + config.txt + netfxsp1NL.7z netfxsp1NL.exe
DEL 7zSC.sfx
DEL config.txt
DEL netfxsp1NL.7z
GOTO:EOF

:make_add
MD "%TmpDir%"
MD "%BuildDir%%Target%"
START /wait %Target%.exe /C /T:"%TmpDir%"
CD "%TmpDir%"
SET MsiName=
FOR %%I in (*.*) DO IF /I "%%~xI" == ".MSI" SET MsiName=%%I
START /wait msiexec /a "%MsiName%" TARGETDIR="%BuildDir%%Target%" /QB
CD..
RMDIR /S /Q tmp
CD "%BuildDir%"
ECHO START /WAIT /D%Target% msiexec.exe /i "%MsiName%" /qb>>install.bat
CD..
GOTO:EOF

Now you should have the following files in your folder:

7za.exe
7zS.sfx
dotnetfx.exe
make.bat
NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86.exe
upx.exe
StartX.exe

Start the make.bat and wait 2 minutes. At the end you should have a netfxsp1NL.exe in your folder with a size of about 11,7 MB.

You can run this standalone file through svcpack.inf or any other batch without any commandline switches. But if you use a batch instead of svcpack.inf you should use the start-command:

netfxsp1NL.exe

EDIT: when downloading the hotfix KB886903, you will get the KB886904, i have fixed the url. sorry for the convience... :(

Edited by SolidasRock