Access Denied

Rick

I looked at the pinned topic and I am getting the same message except for the last part about there not being enough room. It just says, access is denied. I am using simple network file sharing between my laptop running Win XP home and my desktop running Winxp pro. When trying to access my wife's files on the desktop (from laptop) I get this error. I have shared the folder and everything. Anybody know what is happening? I am using Norton on the laptop...even though I didn't get that exact message on the pinned topic.

Rick :)

Rick - can you access ANY files on the desktop system? You specifically say "wife's files on the desktop"

Also - obviously you can see the desktop system in network places - so you have sharing set up .... do you have internet connection protection (built in firewall) running on the desktop system?

Hahahaha!!! That's great MSN! Hehe...yeah...you understand what I mean then! LOL

I can access everything except my wife's files from the desktop...firewall is off. I am using a gateway (I have to for wireless networking to work. Another thing that I have noticed is that every time I try to send out an email, I get a relaying denied message also.

uninstall your firewall.

install kerio, and make sure that "computer is on internet gateway" is ticked in the admin box.

something like turevector sounds like its blocking ports on your pc, truevector (comes with Zone alarm) blocks some ports even when the firewall is off, it may be the same thing on whatever firewall your running...

just my idea from what you have described.

Thanks for a good firewall man! But I don't have any firewall installed right now...that is why I am so baffled by all this. It should be working. But I'm going to give kerio a try though.

What I'm trying to say from above is that one part of my networked drive will not share altough all is being shared.

Rick

my network did exactly this when i set it up. try this:

Put passwords on both machines, and make sure both machines are on the same workgroup.

if that doesent help try turning on guest account oin both machines.

(you might not notice the effect for a good 5 - 10 minutes or so, it will seem like nothing changed, try reboot or delete the network connection and remake it if that happens, or just be patient)

and yeah, Kerio is kick a**, AND FREE! ^_^

**tip for kerio: once you have all the permissions set for most of the software you use, export the rules to a floppy disc or another drive, then if you format you can just import the backup permissions and not have to go through all that ticking boxes and allowing or denying everything again :)

I would ...

Set both to admin and if that fails ...

reconfigure/install the entire network, like Tris said.

Yea, similar to format c: and I hate that approach to this sort of problem, but it solves a lot of other future problems too.

Check the following list and make sure that:

CAPS LOCK isn’t on while you’re typing your password. Windows XP Professional passwords are case–sensitive.

Your password is current. If you have recently received the message, “User must change password at next logon,” your password may have expired.

The domain name you used is correct.

You are using a recognized user name.

Your network cable is properly attached to the computer and the network connection.

The network settings on your computer have not been changed.

If this list does not identify your problem, run a networking troubleshooter (click Start and then click Help and Support; click Fixing a problem, in the left-hand column, and then click Networking problems), or contact your network administrator.

Maybe your wife is blocking you? Doubt it, but my son accidently denied me access using a third party prog at one time.

Wish I could be of more help, but I got tired of tracking down the bugs with XPs network features and take the lazy approach these days. After all,

So Many Women ... So Little Time :)

MSN...I'm not so sure that would work...just bought the laptop a week ago! Hehe. Well, I do not have passwords set on either machine and I can try that...I have heard somebody else say something about this guest account thing...do you put all that you want shared on the guest account or do you have to log in to the guest account to be able to get all shared files? Please explain the concept for the slow learner here!

Hello Rick! All you have to do is make accounts on both machines with matching Username and passwords, and you should have no problems at all on the network. Just remember to set both shared folders permissions to the account you set up