98se re-install, Need format without A drive!HOW

GLO

any help pls.

I am rebuilding my neighbours PC which uses 98SE but like most weekend web surfers they have been plagued by virus' and trojans.

I know i can re-install over the top, but ideally i'd prefer to format the HDD and start fresh. Although their Adrive doesnt work properly.

What can i do.

thanks

Its a wonder that win98 runs at all......

Just upgrade to a newer version of windows - bcos you'll have to "re-build" that PC yet again in a few weeks/months.

Use a bootable win2k/XP CD, and format the systemdrive (C:\) during text-mode setup.

I have loaded a copy of my XPpro but they dont want to spend the $$$ to upgrade to a their own licence of XPpro.

I tried to run the DOS request of D:\>win98\format C: but that didnt work!

I don't know what your neighbors do on their weekends but if they only use it for web surfin', why not use the free linuxes out their? And if they also want office, use the openoffice.org's office.

That way, it won't let them cost the money for another Winxp machine. It's definitly not the solution for the MSFN forum but you gotta let your neighbor know that not having a anti-virus or even with an anti-virus installed, they gotta have it updated.

The cost of not having an anti-virus or a firewall may cost them a lot more than buying a new Windows. And also, time is money.

I tried to run the DOS request of D:\>win98\format C: but that didnt work!
Unless you tell EXACTLY WHY it didn't work, no meaningful help can be given. What error message does it give? More details about how the machine hardware/BIOS is set up, and what tools you are using to format might be needed.... :)

And if the machine is new enough to fulfil hardware requirements, you could get a hold of a win2k Pro license (going cheap nowadays, since people started upgrading to XP).

Ok heres all the specs.

Its a DELL GX110 which is a P3 667Mhz with 128Mb ram, the floppy drive is basically dead. I know i can run XP on this no problems, but keeping in mind that this is really a clean out for them, so they have the 98se and office 2000 licences. So i am going to load all that back up for them.

I have formated the 7Gb HDD now, (by putting it in my machine as an extra HDD and have formatted it.

Now, I just tried to load 98se back in thier machine, but it doesnt appear to be a bootable disc. :(

How else can i get 98se back on their HDD?

Once that is all done, i'll load up NAV and Zone alarm for them. and schedule regular maintanance and updates.

Copy the WIN98 folder from the windows 98 cd to your hard-drive, then just plugin your hard-drive like you did before, make the following folders on their C: drive:

MD C:\WINDOWS
MD C:\WINDOWS\CABS

then copy the windows 98 CD to the harddrive:

COPY D:\WIN98\*.* C:\WINDOWS\CABS

then start setup from the harddrive:

C:
CD \WINDOWS\CABS
SETUP

Once windows is installed, they'll never be asked for the CD ever again since the CABS will remain on the harddrive in a non-annoying location.

I'd suggest that after the computer is up and running that you go and download this 3rd party windows 98 se service pack, it's very very good and it's a must-have for running 98 in this day and age:

Windows 98 SE Service Pack

Hi Jcarle,

I have to ask this stupid question.

With no OS installed; how do i start DOS?

atm its saying "strike F1 to retry boot , F2 for set up utilty"

and F1 just beeps and repeats the same message!

I havent tried your method yet, but I am i supposed to create those folders in my PC or in the machine i am rebuilding? Casue i can do all but the last step on my machine.

@GLO

ok, tell me if it works for you - I would say:

1. Startup nero (choose bootable CD from list)

2. drop in entire contents of win98 CD

3. Pick up a win98 bootable floppy-disc.

4. set the boot-sector to be picked up from the floppy

5. write the CD, and use it to install.

All this has got to be done on a working machine.

Hi Jcarle,

I have to ask this stupid question. 

With no OS installed; how do i start DOS?

atm its saying "strike F1 to retry boot , F2 for set up utilty"

and F1 just beeps and repeats the same message!

I havent tried your method yet, but I am i supposed to create those folders in my PC or in the machine i am rebuilding? Casue i can do all but the last step on my machine.

When you format their harddrive, you should format using the /S switch to install system files. What you COULD also do is install their harddrive in your machine then boot your machine with a bootable win98 boot disk, then format /s their harddrive. Then boot your computer and copy the WIN98 folder directly to their harddrive in the C:\WINDOWS\CABS folder that you would create on THEIR harddrive.

Then just throw their harddrive back into their computer and it'll boot into DOS. Then just CD \WINDOWS\CABS and run SETUP. :)

@GLO

ok, tell me if it works for you - I would say:

1.  Startup nero (choose bootable CD from list)

2.  drop in entire contents of win98 CD

3.  Pick up a win98 bootable floppy-disc.

4.  set the boot-sector to be picked up from the floppy

5.  write the CD, and use it to install.

All this has got to be done on a working machine.

sounds logical, but they didnt make a win98 bootable floppy.

Anywhere i can find the contents????