problem with unattended boot screen kernel

those ARE my configs

If it's not booting, your kernel is messed up. Wrong version, or your modifying it wrong.

As for the two entries, perhaps you should understand what the script does before using it. It creates a copy of the original entry, with the name "Windows XP professional" and appends /kernel= to the entry.

What happens when it boots? error message?

it boots fine. just uses the default win xp thing. doens't boot with the edited kernel. and wat is the rite place to get the kernels? sp1, sp2, or drivers.cab? they each have the 4 files. and i'm installing a sp2 integrated

get the ones that are in I386. use those.

when are you running the the batch file? what does your boot.ini say?

there are none in the i386 folder. :huh::angry:

heres my cmdlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]

"useraccounts.cmd"

"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

"bootlogo.cmd"

is this the "when ...?" u were asking about?

yes, there are. According to txtsetup.sif, setup copies them from I386, not the cab files. So yes, they are there. but they're not called ntoskrnl.exe , but rather ntoskrnl.ex_ and you have to expand them.

And for the record, they are there from the GOLD XP, updated with SP1 and SP2. If you extract the SP2 exe network install file, you'll find a ntoskrnl.ex_ in it's I386 directory that is copied over to your XP source during integration

that would be the when (the cmdlines.txt file) but I could have sworn I suggested you change it to GUIRunOnce.

yes, there are. According to txtsetup.sif, setup copies them from I386, not the cab files. So yes, they are there. but they're not called ntoskrnl.exe , but rather ntoskrnl.ex_ and you have to expand them.

And for the record, they are there from the GOLD XP, updated with SP1 and SP2. If you extract the SP2 exe network install file, you'll find a ntoskrnl.ex_ in it's I386 directory that is copied over to your XP source during integration

that would be the when (the cmdlines.txt file) but I could have sworn I suggested you change it to GUIRunOnce.

ok. i'll do that. wat do i do? where do i put the bootlogo.cmd? and wat thing do i put under [guirunonce]?

Alright step by step.....

1. Grab ntoskrnl.ex_ and ntkrnlmp.ex_ from your I386 diretory. Copy them to another folder. Open a command prompt to that folder and type

expand ntoskrnl.ex_ OEMkrnl.exe
expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ Dualkrnl.exe

2. Edit the kernel files the way you want.

3. Create the CMD file with the script it in. Save that in $OEM$\$$\ and call it bootscreen.cmd (full path would be %XPCD%\$OEM$\$$\bootscreen.cmd with %XPCD% being the path to your XP setup folder. At the same time, copy your two kernel files to this location as well.

4. In your winnt.sif file, add this....

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemroot%\bootscreen.cmd

5. Recreate image and test.

And before you think something hasn't worked yet (the bootscreen hasn't changed). Once the desktop loads, try restarting and see if it appears then. If not, copy the boot.ini file here.

1. Grab ntoskrnl.ex_ and ntkrnlmp.ex_ from your I386 diretory. Copy them to another folder. Open a command prompt to that folder and type

3. Create the CMD file with the script it in. Save that in $OEM$\$$\ and call it bootscreen.cmd (full path would be %XPCD%\$OEM$\$$\bootscreen.cmd with %XPCD% being the path to your XP setup folder. At the same time, copy your two kernel files to this location as well.

[GuiRunOnce]

And before you think  something hasn't worked yet (the bootscreen hasn't changed). Once the desktop loads, try restarting and see if it appears then. If not, copy the boot.ini file here.

:thumbup:thumbup

u could have said that earlier. thanks a lot! will test it now!

[GuiRunOnce]

And before you think  something hasn't worked yet (the bootscreen hasn't changed). Once the desktop loads, try restarting and see if it appears then. If not, copy the boot.ini file here.

well.....technically, it has been said before. In the Cosmetics thread. Perhaps not those exact steps, but the basic principle is the same. Though I find if people read alittle and not get it handed to them step by step, they are capable of continuing on to other advanced things. lol. Lesson learned.

[GuiRunOnce]

well.....technically, it has been said before. In the Cosmetics thread. Perhaps not those exact steps, but the basic principle is the same. Though I find if people read alittle and not get it handed to them step by step, they are capable of continuing on to other advanced things. lol. Lesson learned.

yea. sorry to take up so much of ur time. in 15 min, we'll see if that time was well spent.

plus, this whole time i didn't know i was supposed to use files in the i386 folder.

god! still doesn't work! heres everything i used:

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]    AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=yes

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

UnattendSwitch="yes"

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

FileSystem=*

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=20

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=*

FullName="Billy"

OrgName=""

ComputerName=HOMEBASE

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=70

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=10,9,1

[Identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

minesweeper=off

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

freecell=off

hearts=off

solitaire=off

spider=off

zonegames=off

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode = 0

[IEPopupBlocker]

BlockPopups=Yes

FilterLevel=Medium

ShowInformationBar=Yes

[Shell]

CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\Sentinel_Green.theme"

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

[COMMANDS]"useraccounts.cmd"

"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

http://www.freewebs.com/ihaveabu/$$.rar

attached $$.rar. includes:

-bootscreen.cmd

-dualkrnl.exe

-oemkrnl.exe

the .exe's were edited from the files in i836. help? i really don't know wat's wrong now. maybe i edited the kernels wrong. help?

Why you wanna share your productkey with this forum? please delete this or change to xxxx

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName="Billy"

OrgName=""

ComputerName=HOMEBASE

removed the key