problem with unattended boot screen kernel

no need 2 repeat yourself

did u recompile the cab file?

also, do a search for this, its been answered i believe, search for ntfs.sys within the last 60days

well, i really didn't do anything to the cab file. just extracted it out of the cab and moded and put it in $oem$\$$\system32\

do i still need to do anything with the cab?

what is it with people and changing the original kernel and then overwriting it.

Second, simply editing ntkrnlmp.exe and then putting it in $OEM$\$$\System32 (without renaming) won't work, as windows uses ntoskrnl.exe. the MP kernel is renamed to ntoskrnl.exe during install. Second, the ntfs.sys error is due to version conflicts with the kernel and files. Use the right kernel.

You could do what I do, look in the customize thread for the code I had, and have both kernels. VMware does NOT emulate the hyperthreading processor.

Doh! i forgot to mention that using ntkrlmp with a virtual machine would be a problem. Alanoll's script comes in handy in this case.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...=0entry108366

It will determine wether you have single or multple processors and use the correct kernel.

Modify ntoskrnl.exe and rename it OEMkernel.exe. Modify ntkrnlmp.exe and rename it DualKernel.exe. Place both in $OEM$\$$\System32. Use Alanoll's script in place of yours.

Now your custom kernel should work on both a virtual and real (hyperthreading) machine.

But you STILL have to use the proper version of the kernel :P

And for the record, I suggest you run the batch from GUIRunOnce, and not cmdlines.txt. But that just might be personal preference. I like to see Windows start up before changing core system files :P

Doh! i forgot to mention that using ntkrlmp with a virtual machine would be a problem. Alanoll's script comes in handy in this case.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...=0entry108366

It will determine wether you have single or multple processors and use the correct kernel.

Modify ntoskrnl.exe and rename it OEMkernel.exe. Modify ntkrnlmp.exe and rename it DualKernel.exe. Place both in $OEM$\$$\System32. Use Alanoll's script in place of yours.

Now your custom kernel should work on both a virtual and real (hyperthreading) machine.

i add

bootcfg /copy /D "Windows XP Professional" /ID 1

if %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%==2 goto DUAL

echo No

bootcfg /RAW "/Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe" /A  /ID 2

goto End

:DUAL

echo Yes

bootcfg /RAW "/Kernel=dualKrnl.exe" /A  /ID 2

:End

bootcfg /Timeout 0

bootcfg /Default /ID 2

to the bootlogo.cmd rite?

thanks, i'll try it now. fingers crossed :thumbup

I should point out that the name REALLY doesn't matter, and anyone who truly looks at the code would realize this.

change

/kernel=OEMkrnl.exe to /kernel=WHATEVERYOUWANT.EXE and it will still work. All that matters is that you have the single kernel name in the right spot and the same for the dual kernel.

Also, I forget if I mentioned it, but this adds in a failsafe so that you don't have to wait the whole install process over again, just to see if your apps work. Just change the timeout line to a different value then 0, and you should get the "boot select screen" during startup. :)

still doesn't work. kinda getting annoying. the names are OEMkrnl.exe for the single cpu and dualkrnl.exe for ht. still not workin. :angry:

here's wat i did:

copied driver.cab to desktop, extracted to folder using winrar

copied ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe to a new folder. ran resource hack and replaced the bmps. saved. then renamed to OEMkrnl.exe and dualkrnl.exe.

copied to $OEM$\$$\system32

used bootlogo.cmd (attached) in $OEM$ folder

heres my cmdlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]

"useraccounts.cmd"

"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

"bootlogo.cmd"

am i doing something wrong?

bootlogo.cmd

would it help if used the ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe from sp2.cab? or is it the same as in the driver.cab thing?

and does installing a sp2 slipped make any difference?

can you guys show me ur bootlogo.cmd files and ur configs?

And for the record, I suggest you run the batch from GUIRunOnce, and not cmdlines.txt. But that just might be personal preference. I like to see Windows start up before changing core system files :P

how do i do that? i'm kind running out of options here. can someone please post a working cmd file and where they placed their stuff?

I should point out that the name REALLY doesn't matter, and anyone who truly looks at the code would realize this.

change

/kernel=OEMkrnl.exe to /kernel=WHATEVERYOUWANT.EXE and it will still work. All that matters is that you have the single kernel name in the right spot and the same for the dual kernel.

The only reason I corrected the names was becaus of how they are named in your script. I realize they can be named anything. Just wanted to make sure he didn't end up with differences between the names in the script and what he actually has.

change

The only reason I corrected the names was becaus of how they are named in your script. I realize they can be named anything. Just wanted to make sure he didn't end up with differences between the names in the script and what he actually has.

that's not really the problem. i tried using the kernals from driver.cab, from sp1.cab, and sp2.cab. none of them boot up properly. and when i use the kernel switch thing, it give me 2 options to boot. 1's Microsoft Windows XP Professional

the 2nd is Windows XP Professional every time i boot. neither boots with the modded boot screen. this is getting extremely annoying. can anyone post their configs?

those ARE my configs

If it's not booting, your kernel is messed up. Wrong version, or your modifying it wrong.

As for the two entries, perhaps you should understand what the script does before using it. It creates a copy of the original entry, with the name "Windows XP professional" and appends /kernel= to the entry.

What happens when it boots? error message?