2000/xp/2003 and the diference is... what?

redder

i dont know how long you can keep windows after installed, friends of mine can keep it for months, if i keep if over 2 days its a miracle. and today i just got fed up with it, i mean i looked at the choices that i had (XP/2K/2K3) and they are practicly the same thing. i dont understand how is it that the same operating system can be made three times, each version worse than the last. nt5 is simple and stable, looks like 98 and works like 98 with new managment features, xp is 2000 with "new" features such as including every damned kind of software from MS that we could had found on the internet and it wouldnt ask as much resources like xp does, 2k3 honestly i cant tell the diference between that one and xp, its the same OS with a new face and logo, with the same network and security features included in xp. so basicly i have the same OS to choose from between variations of 2gb that they will take on my HD. ive been in front of my desktop computer for the whole day trying to figure out wich one ill install. ive even thought about switching back to the safe 98 which never got a virus by not doing anything as soon as i connected it to the internet, and thats a 150 dollar diference between suposed "safer" OS. im so angry right now that id write the whole post on caps just for to see how angry i am, im tired of seeing my windows self-destructing. which would you choose and how long does it last for you?

I only have XP, so XP it is.

I just integrated SP2 and did a new install.

But my previous install with SP1, I had for about 8 months without any problems.

It never crashed, never had a BSOD.

I never had a virus or whatsoever; I am using some freeware to protect my computer and it works.

:no: thats cool i wish mine lasted a week, right now im installing 2000 for the 5th time today, the 5th!!! i think ill stick with it im not sure yet. what freeware are you exacly talking about? adware and spybot s&d ? thats what i use. its no good to me :no: ..

The 3 OS'es are very different. Some are server OS'es, some are desktop OS'es. Lots and lots of differences. Perhaps you should go visit microsoft.com and find out what's new in them, or even google for such information. There definately are major changes in all of them (too much to even try to list here).

Unless all you want just about anything, as long as it plays your games and has a start menu...

Also, if you have problems and need to reinstall your OS so often, chances are your PC has hardware problems. I never had to reinstall so often (desktop or servers... anything goes) - nor anybody who I've done it for.

W2k, XP adn W2k3 are all very different OS's. W2k3 is a server OS for starters. It is not meant for and should not be used for a workstation OS. Xp is similar to W2k Pro but it does have many differences. They are all stable OS's and should not have to be reinstalled as often as you say you have to.

If you are having to re-install that often then it is due to either the apps and or tweaks you are loading or hardware.

no hardware probs here, the problem is very simple, i like to have my computer up and running well, i value performance, i dont do tweaks, and the features that are included on XP and 2K3 are, for the use that i give to the machine, useless. ive finished installing windows 2000, its working well, so far. the last OS that i had working was XP home, and it destroyed "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\pci.sys", i tried to replace it expanding the orignal using XP cd on recovery mode, and since i wasnt happy with XP i decided to format. I have a theory about XP installation... if you get an error of any kind during the installation, dont proceed, and reinstall it again. sometimes i have probs with XP because of my BIOS configurations, its rare but sometimes it doesnt boot because of that, then i put the BIOS on safe defaults, and change them back to what they were like... and XP boots again. my machines were all very weird. at least now its running 2000 and my graphics card runs with awesome speed, ive been using omega drivers for a few weeks could that have something to do with it?