nero 6.3.1.20

bilko

Nero63120.exe is a winrar SFX, it is not locked, so you can open it in winrar & change the mode to hidden {extracting files}. You can also insert a cmd file that regs it & then starts setup.exe, because it's not locked you can change anything you want.

Thank you both, I extracted, made a new SFX archive made sure it's completely silent used /silent /no_ui and it worked flawlessly :)

I have a couple additional questions.

- can the icon of the new SFX I made be changed so it looks like the original of Nero?

- is it possible to use 7-zip instead of WinRAR to make the new SFX...if so how? I assume I'd have to use the cmd line version, do I just put it in my system32 folder?

- Which commands do I have to use in RunOnceEx.cmd to extract/install it if I do use 7-zip?

Hope I'm not asking for too much ;)

The solution I do for that is:

1.  Extract the Nero installer (27.x MB) using winrar.

2.  Make a silent extracting SFX.

3.  Then run the setup from the extracted location during uA install.

Adding to prathapml's solution...

When creating the SFX Archive using WinRAR enable the option 'Create solid archive' as well as setting the 'Compression method' to Best. This will reduce the file size as much as possibile, without removing any files.

To configure the SFX options (assuming the Create SFX Option is enabled):

Goto the Advanced tab > SFX Options...

Here is a quick discription of the functions you may need:

General:

• Specify a program to be run before and/or after extraction e.g. "Setup.exe /silent /noreboot /no_ui /sn=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /write_sn" (Recommended).

Modes:

• Allows extraction to a temporary folder (Recommended)
  • Allows you control the level of Silent-ness (If there's such a word :)) (Recommeded).

Text and icon:

• Customize the SFX icon.

- is it possible to use 7-zip instead of WinRAR to make the new SFX...if so how? I assume I'd have to use the cmd line version, do I just put it in my system32 folder?

- Which commands do I have to use in RunOnceEx.cmd to extract/install it if I do use 7-zip?

No extra actions needed - just tell 7-zip (while compressing) to make it SFX, so that you don't need any extra executable to be placed in "System32" folder.

And then, use this switch to extract:

-y /q /r:n -o<your_path>

Here's an example from my batch-files (runs directly from CD, so there's no environment variables used)

start /wait GUIsetup\apps\NAV2k3pro.exe -y /q /r:n -o%SYSTEMDRIVE%\install\Applications

start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\install\Applications\NAV2k3pro\NAV\NAV.MSI /QB-!

@Cee-Kay: thank you didn't know some of those options were available...will sure use them in the future.

@prathapml: thank you as well that helped me out a lot.

This is what I currently have (using 7-zip SFX of course):

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Nero Burning ROM 6.3.1.20" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\nero63120.exe -y /q /r:n
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\setup.exe /silent /no_ui /sn=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx /write_sn" /f

It extracts and installs Nero like it's supposed to but it does have one "defect" and that is that I see the extraction process...deja vu ;) . I now know how to fix that when dealing with WinRAR SFX archives now but have no idea if and how this can be done with 7-zip SFX archives.

I know I asked about the cmd line version of 7-zip b4 (I'd like to avoid using it if possible) but would that help?

Could I use cmdow or anything else to hide it...how?

Thx again for all your replies...helpful indeed.

don't know if it help but this works for me with nero 6.3.1.10

ECHO.
ECHO Instalando Nero Burning Rom 6.3.1.10
ECHO Por favor espera...
start /wait %CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero63110.exe /silent /noreboot /no_ui /sn=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /write_sn
start /wait %CDROM%\Software\Nero\NBR63110esp.exe /s

and for NBR63110esp.exe (spanish language pack to rar sfx) this code

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=setup.exe /SFX
TempMode
Silent=2
Overwrite=1
Title=Nero 6.0- 6.3.1.10 Ahead Software AG

@SiMoNsAyS not sure u understood me fully :unsure: . I what I'm looking for is something (switch, utility,...) that will be able to hide the extraction process of 7-zip SFX archives, I have no problems hiding it if I use WinRAR SFX archives.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but i read the thread over and over, why all the difficult things? Why use 7-zip and create new sfx archives, The executable has it allready in itself!! Swampy allready said so a couple of post up..

For me it works completely silent, invisible and no extraction showing up. :thumbup

Simply open the nero63120.exe with WinRAR.

Hit the comment tab and change it in:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=setup.exe /SFX /SN=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOCANCEL /NOREBOOT
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1
Title=Nero 6.0- 6.3.1.20 Ahead Software AG

See the change from Silent=2 into Silent=1 !

Forgot if you still have to set these also here:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\nero63120.exe/SN=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOCANCEL /NOREBOOT" /f

Or that you can just execute like:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\nero63120.exe" /f

If i completely misunderstood the post, sorry, then let me know and forget about it and keep up the good work! just trying to help...

Yes swampy, Cee-Kay and prathapml said everything (and more) I wanted to know about WinRAR SFX archives but I prefer to use 7-zip for the sole reason cause it compresses better 21,8MB compared to 27,7MB for a WinRAR SFX archive...I am tight on space.

I know how to use WinRAR SFX archives now...everything extracts and installs silently.

I also got the switches for 7-zip (check my previous posts) but I c the extraction process and i don't want to c it. If there's no switch for hiding the extraction process of 7-zip archives I won't use them, will got back to WinRAR SFX.

Hope this clears up everything ;)

AAAH, okay, this i understand! (again - points for me tho)

hmmm.. more than 6MB difference that's the main thing, interesting info :w00t:

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

So i hope you allready have forgotten about me and my post !! :P

To hide 7-zip extraction GUI window is not possible. One option might be to use the command-line 7zip extractor EXE, and use CMDOW to hide the subsequent window. Or, XPlode allows you to hide windows with specific titles too - so you could use that instead!

Hey CipherBit, my nero 7zip SFX is only 18.7 MB....

Its funny how people assume that all files within an installer will be needed. You can go into the "Redist" folder of Nero-installer, and delete the DLLs that aren't needed (first confirm that the DLLs you delete are present with windows itself, or come from any other app - in most cases, WXPSP2 has latest versions of all essential DLLs except for COMCTL32.OCX). Carry out some testing, and you'll eventually find out which files are safe to delete - its a variable list based on what other apps you install - so I can't tell you which ones to delete. Just try deleting all DLLs, and restore them one by one, until setup stops complaining about missing files.

Hoping this helps....

@SiMoNsAyS I don't follow u one bit "anyway here are the switches simply create a new 7zip-sfx and add'em" pls take a look at this post and other posts by me once again.

@CypherBit i wanted to mean that you know the method and the switches it's only a matter of time :P . sorry but hide the window it's probably impossible (at least using the 7zip or nero self gui i think). repeating me i will recommend the use of winrar. it compress less than 7zip, but you can gain that space removing dlls that you don't need like prathapml said, and u han hide the window 2.

@prathapml: was afraid u were gonna say that :) reffering to " To hide 7-zip extraction GUI window is not possible" . I never used Xplode as u probably noticed I'm a RunOnceEx man so I don't think I'll take that route. On the other hand cmd line 7-zip exe is more appealing to me. But what I don't know is how to use it, looked at their site, forums and haven't found much.

My questions are:

- where do I need to put it, the .exe that is

- which switch should I use (would be great if someone already has it in their RunOnceEx and could paste it)

- how would I go about using CMDOW to hide that particular window

Thx for the heads up on deleting parts that aren't needed. I got rid off a few dll's but then said to myself...there's tons of options/apps I never use in Nero so I started removing those as well. To name a few I never use (or use alternative software): BackItUp, Cover Designer, ImageDrive, SoundTrax, Wave Editor. I also removed Nero Check. My Nero.exe 7-zip SFX is 15.2 MB atm. I will definitely delete a few audio plugins in the future, since I only burn mp3s. Of course Nero complains about all those missing files so what I did is I put dummy files there instead.

The reason I'm insisting on the use of 7-zip SFX isn't just cause of Nero, I'd use it elsewhere and would also learn something new...hope someone will be kind enough to help me out.

@SiMoNsAyS thank you as well for your suggestion...I will go the WinRAR SFX way...if 7-zip SFX fails.

EDIT: removed the audio plugins I never use burned an audio CD just to see if everything works, had no problems...7-zip SFX archive is 13.9 MB atm.

Edited by CypherBit