nero 6.3.1.20

bilko

@CypherBit

You've given a cool idea - to replace the existing file with a 0 byte dummy! Why didn't I think of it before? :blink:

Well, as for the command-line extraction of 7-zip archives, do this:

1. Download and install 7-zip.

2. copy away the command-line EXE from the installed folder into "$OEM$\$$\system32".

3. then run that exe from the batch-file to extract your 7zip'ed archive (not SFX), for example:

start /wait 7z.exe -y /q /r:n -o<your_path> %systemdrive%\install\file.7z

Do post back on how it goes. :thumbup

Finally got some time and started testing...came up with this and as far as I can tell it works superbly.

RunOnceEx.cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Nero Burning ROM 6.3.1.20" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\unpack.cmd" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\setup.exe /silent /no_ui /sn=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx /write_sn" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Nero\NeroCheck.reg" /f

unpack.cmd:

cmdow @ /HID

7z.exe x -y "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Nero\Nero.7z" -o"%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\"

EXIT

NeroCheck.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\NeroFilterCheck]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="NeroCheck"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NeroCheck.exe"
"inimapping"="0"

I'm attaching 3 files DefaultNero.txt (default Nero Burning ROM Nero Burning ROM 6.3.1.20 extracted), MyNero.txt (same as b4 but my version) and Differences.html which gives a detailed comparison of the differences between them. BTW it's pretty easy to c what I changed since they r all 0 byte, the ones I deleted r a bit harder to spot, that's y I made that report. My Nero.7z is 14.5 MB atm.

An additional note I also removed (put 0 byte dummy's there) all *.ocx files Nero had no problems installing but after reboot I got a warning something is missing, only got that once but I always got nwe_reg?.txt files in my default Nero folder warning me of the missing files...so I decided to include them.

esp @prathapml (would be nice if I got them from others as well) I would be very greatefull if u attached/send me a similar file to mine "MyNero.txt" so I'd c what exactly u've changed/got rid off. I'm aware the list is variable but it would still make it a lot easier to track down/delete the unneeded files.

EDIT: I'm using 7za.exe instead of 7z.exe now since it is standalone.

MyNero.zip

@CypherBit

Great to hear that it works fine - you've literally put up a mini-howto on reducing nero install in the post above. :thumbup

As for the files deletion thing, I'd expect that replacing (with 0-byte files) any other files than the below on XPSP2 US-English should cause problems (like it did when you removed OCX'es):

Nero\Common Files\AudioPlugins\mp3PRO_dmo.dll  (68,00 KB)

Nero\Nero BackItUp\BackItUp-Deu.nls  (344,00 KB)

Nero\Nero BackItUp\NBJ-Deu.nls  (80,00 KB)

Nero\Nero BackItUp\NBR-Deu.nls  (68,00 KB)

Nero\nero soundtrax\SoundTrax-Deu.nls  (740,00 KB)

Nero\Nero\DosBootimage.IMA  (1,41 MB)

Nero\Nero\nerocd95.vxd  (38,95 KB)

Nero\Nero\Nerodeu.nls  (5,68 MB)

Nero\Nero\Nerodeu.txt  (42,22 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_dan.msg  (14,11 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_deu.msg  (16,15 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_esp.msg  (15,65 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_fin.msg  (14,58 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_fra.msg  (16,26 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_hun.msg  (15,15 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_ita.msg  (15,01 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_jpn.msg  (14,27 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_nld.msg  (14,84 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_nor.msg  (14,12 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_ptg.msg  (15,99 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_rus.msg  (14,23 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_sve.msg  (14,83 KB)

Nero\Nero\nres_trk.msg  (14,08 KB)

Nero\Nero Wave Editor\waveedit-deu.nls

Nero\Nero Wave Editor\vplugins-deu.nls

Nero\CoverDesigner\covered-deu.nls

Nero\setup\Eula_chs.txt  (10,08 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_cht.txt  (10,76 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_deu.txt  (21,94 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_esp.txt  (16,88 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_fra.txt  (17,56 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_ita.txt  (17,85 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_jpn.txt  (13,61 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_kor.txt  (12,78 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_nld.txt  (17,58 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_ptg.txt  (18,07 KB)

Nero\setup\Eula_sve.txt  (16,21 KB)

[the particular set of files below is highly variable - check if your windows installation already has these files or newer versions before deleting]Nero\Redist\50comupd.exe  (498,03 KB)

Nero\Redist\gdiplus.DLL  (1,63 MB)

Nero\Redist\mfc42.DLL  (972,05 KB)

Nero\Redist\MSVCP60.DLL  (392,05 KB)

Nero\Redist\msvcrt.dll  (284,05 KB)

Nero\Redist\shfolder.exe  (114,54 KB)

In plain language (for everybody), the list above is about files safe to delete from the installer (but your mileage may vary :}). As is clear from cypherbit's How-To (in the post above), the maximum benefit (and least loss) is from cleaning out the Redist folder.

I replaced (with 0-byte files) these files in addition:

Nero\Boo.wav
Nero\DingDong.wav
Nero\DosBootimage.IMA
Nero\nerocd95.vxd
Nero\Nerodeu.nls
Nero\nres_dan.msg
Nero\nres_deu.msg
Nero\nres_esp.msg
Nero\nres_fin.msg
Nero\nres_fra.msg
Nero\nres_hun.msg
Nero\nres_ita.msg
Nero\nres_jpn.msg
Nero\nres_nld.msg
Nero\nres_nor.msg
Nero\nres_ptg.msg
Nero\nres_rus.msg
Nero\nres_sve.msg
Nero\nres_trk.msg
Nero\Trumpet1.wav
Redist\msvcrt.dll

Also wanted to remove Nero\Redist\MSVCP60.DLL but I kept getting "Unable to load plug-in manager" when opening Nero Express.

After all these deletions I'm left with Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express and the entire Nero Toolkit everything else is gone. My Nero.7z is 12.5 MB big atm...quite sure this is as far as I can go. I did quite a bit of testing and the above progs all work without glitches as far as I can tell...I sure hope that will be the case when I decide to format...I'm quite confident it will.

@ CypherBit / prathapml

I'm trying to keep up with you both (in silence this time :whistle: )

Do you think there is a possibillity to make something like a batch/cmd file for it to automate the process?? :w00t:

I'm willing to try/test it here on my machine, and see if it all works and give's no glitches at all in real life environment!

Or am i asking to much now?? :(

just a thought...

@BAM

If u want to test my Nero.7z I can send it to u without any problems just PM me and it's yours (same for anyone else, it would be great if u never had Nero on your machine ;) ). The process could be automated but as stated above up to a point since there r some variables. I'd just like to add that mine and prathapml's approach to this is a bit different, yes we r both trying to reduce Nero but as far as I can tell prathapml doesn't want to lose any functionality and I do. That is why I got rid off all these apps which I never use: BackItUp, Cover Designer, ImageDrive, Nero SoundTrax, Nero Wave Editor, Nero StartSmart.

mine and prathapml's approach to this is a bit different, yes we r both trying to reduce Nero but as far as I can tell prathapml doesn't want to lose any functionality and I do.
Right about that buddy. ;)

And, I was thinking......

We already have windows and office shrinker programs here on MSFN, maybe someone will see this thread and make a nero componentized shrinking app, for the use of others - who knows? :D

We already have windows and office shrinker programs here on MSFN, maybe someone will see this thread and make a nero componentized shrinking app, for the use of others - who knows?

That would be great indeed. I'd do it myself but don't have the necessary skills...so I'll probably just make a .cmd that deletes all the files I don't need and have a folder with 0-byte dummy's somewhere on the HDD which will be appropriately copied into the folders. That way I'll be able to update to newer versions of Nero in a breeze.

The solution I do for that is:

1.  Extract the Nero installer (27.x MB) using winrar.

2.  Make a silent extracting SFX.

3.  Then run the setup from the extracted location during uA install.

Adding to prathapml's solution...

When creating the SFX Archive using WinRAR enable the option 'Create solid archive' as well as setting the 'Compression method' to Best. This will reduce the file size as much as possibile, without removing any files.

To configure the SFX options (assuming the Create SFX Option is enabled):

Goto the Advanced tab > SFX Options...

Here is a quick discription of the functions you may need:

General:

• Specify a program to be run before and/or after extraction e.g. "Setup.exe /silent /noreboot /no_ui /sn=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /write_sn" (Recommended).

Modes:

• Allows extraction to a temporary folder (Recommended)
  • Allows you control the level of Silent-ness (If there's such a word :)) (Recommeded).

Text and icon:

• Customize the SFX icon.

This works perfectly for me...

Its not very considerate to quote ENTIRE LARGE POSTS just to add a one-line reply at the end. You should only quote the part that you're responding to, and in cases like the above, just a post saying

"Cee-kay's method on the first page works perfectly for me"

would be sufficient.

Hoping that members will be considerate enough to keep that in mind for the next time. :)

Just Few more safe files to add to prathapml's "safe to remove for an english install with full functionality" list

Just  Few more safe files to add to prathapml's "safe to remove for an english install with full functionality" list

Thanks for that addition - updated! :)

Its not been of use ever since we outgrew win98 emergency boot-disks. Not everybody needs it, and not everybody wants it - and it saves on a fair bit of space, so I don't keep it.

Also, you can just put your bootable floppy and make a boot image from it and use that as your boot-sector if you so want.