Newbie Q - what can Xplode do & what cant it do

The Krook

Sorry for this newbie question - I have read through a lot of of posts on this unattended installation but am still a little confused. I use nLite already to remove alot but would now like to add applications, specific drivers and other small tweaks to my installation CD.

My question is what can Xplode do for me. I know it can handle applications.

I just want to know if it can be done in Xplode - you dont have to tell me how every little thing is done....(but of course you're welcome to if you want :) )

But what about drivers ?

And what if i want to do some tweaks.

The tweaks I want to do is change:

- default theme

- settings under Visual Effects

- some Start menu properties (like number of programs to show, remove Printers & faxes etc.)

- remove the recycle bin from desktop

- create and name a shared folder

- change user pic

if the tweaks are in the registry file (.REG) or an INF (.INF) then yes, you use the same command call you would in a batch file (regedit.exe /S tweaks.reg for reg files).

As for drivers, if depends what you're trying to do. If they have an EXE file, then you can. Anything that you can normally call from a command prompt, or a run box you can run from XPlode. But if you have the drivers in INF form, then I suggest using OEMPnPDrivers path or some other method to get windows to see the path to the INFs so it automatically looks there when it finds new hardware.

You can set the user pic this way - pre-set it

To have a custom theme as your default right from your first login, you have to have 3 things done:

1. Hack your uxtheme.dll to allow third-party themes.

2. Place your theme at the location you want.

3. Place this section in winnt.sif

[Shell]
  CustomDefaultThemeFile="%systemroot%\Resources\Themes\Slate.theme"
  DefaultStartPanelOff=No
  DefaultThemesOff=No

(Change the properties there to how you want)

All the rest of the things you asked for are done by the registry, and you can go to this thread to read up on all those, and more - Registry Tweaks....

Hoping this helps....

• 5 months later...