No WMP Mini-toolbar after SP2

enuffsaid

Thanks for your user posted images. Can't see them tho. :P

All I requested from you was a screenshot (one would suffice) which showed me that the WMP mini toolbar was enabled AFTER you would click on yes.

Then minimize the WMP. Being the first time you minimize it, it will ask if you want to ENABLE the MediaPlayer Bar. Click YES. Finally that bar will appear on your right click on taskbar.
It does NOT ask you if you want to enable the toolbar, it tells you HOW TO ENABLE IT! Please read more carefully.
@enuffsaid: ... After installation and after I read your post I noticed that the MediaPlayer Bar on right click at taskbar DOES NOT EXIST. So Istarted WMP9 for the first time in that install. (no other programs where installed meanwhile). All the steps described before was exactly what I done until that bar appeared.

Later on in your post you say...

So ... I created another user on the same Win install. This time I took screenshots. Fiest thing I noticed was that the Media Bar was there without starting the WMP9 for the first time on that new account.

Thank You, EXACTLY MY POINT!

What strikes me though... At first, with a particular user you notice the toolbar is not available, but after starting up WMP and minimizing it, it is available. Later you tell me you've tested with a new user and without starting up WMP you mention "the media bar was there WITHOUT starting the WMP9 for the first time." How would you explain that then?

As I have stated in a previous post, I tested what you said about the Media Player toolbar not being there, and found this to be NOT true! If you log on as a new user and DO NOT start up WMP, you STILL WILL have the Media Player Toolbar to select. YOU said it would only appear AFTER you minimize WMP9 for the first time. Your tests now show you the same. Good, that's one problem less to deal with. :thumbup

The popup EVERYBODY gets makes you AWARE of this option, and how to turn it on, BUT ITS ALREADY THERE. So remember, it is NOT ASKING YOU IF YOU WANT TO TURN THIS FEATURE ON, ITS JUST TELLING YOU HOW TO TURN IT ON!!! (I've said this many times already, but people seem to miss that particular line everytime for some odd reason. ;) )

Now I kindly ask you, and all others, is that so hard to understand? From what you were telling us, I presumed you were talking of a different window. ALSO because the window you mentioned only appears once as you said. If you would look more carefully you will see that you have to TICK a box if you DO NOT want the window to reappear.

Thanks for all your help tho, I feel we're really getting somewhere. :lol:

I think the links I posted will hold the key. The Tool bar must be created (for all users), the HKCU settings must be updatd to include it, and something is set telling the system to refresh the list of available toolbars. Anyone of the three criteria not being met would cause these symptoms.

That is, of course, only GreenMachine Speculation!

Don't worry, enuffsaid, the wife won't find out. Reminds me of the joke: I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Self, you need a wife. It doesn't matter whose wife, anyone's wife will do!"

I think you could be right, Green with regard to the mini setup. I did a reinstall of my WXP SP2 integrated. I do not install WMP9 as it is included with SP2. I reg out the "mini setup". First thing I did was check if the toolbar was there... it wasn't.

So I started up WMP9 (no questions asked) and minimized it. I got the popup telling me about the mini-toolbar, but... STILL NO TOOLBAR! :(

So I reset the "group policy accept" registry entry for WMP9 and restarted it. This time I got the "mini-setup" and after that the mini-toolbar WAS available.

Strange thing is I NEVER had this behaviour when I had SP1 integrated and a seperate install of WMP9. I canceld out the "mini-setup" through the registry but STILL would have the toolbar.

I'd say problem solved, but I've gotten another one in return. :(

@ Gabriel: I'd be interested in those reg keys. Now I have to go through the mini-setup to get that darn toolbar. I'd like to be able to skip the mini-setup and still have the toolbar like in the good old SP1 days. ;) I found the key that controls the popup window which tells you how to enable the mini-toolbar, but it doesn't actually turn it on. I think the mini-setup does as said above.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

is their a registry tweak for the wmp toolbar to be already checked during installation of xp. i would love to have this enabled so that i don't go on all the accounts and have to enable after installation!

• 2 weeks later...

The solution is to run the following command:

regsvr32.exe /s "%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpband.dll"
This registers the Windows Media Player toolbar with Windows and adds the registry entries necessary for the toolbar to show up as a selectable toolbar.

Then, to force the list of available toolbars to be updated immediately for your user (without logging off and on), run:

reg.exe delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable /va /f

When you next right-click the task bar you will see the WMP toolbar.

Only the first step needs to be done during an unattended setup since the "Discardable" subkey in the user profile is not saved between sessions.

• 3 months later...