WinINSTALL

Mosselman

Instead of using different strings and commands to install Direct connect, kazaa lite and Bittorent I used WinInstall LE (mentioned in the tutorial) to create one custom installer to install all three. I made this installer on a fresh VMWare installation of windows xp... It works fine when i test it (it makes the very easy to switch msi format files) on the same machine (by uninstalling the apps and then reinstalling them using a .cmd file unattended)...

I think though that this isnt really the way you should install programs... Does anyone know if this form of installing applications which are harder to switch normally is a good way or should I try it differently?

Instead of looking 16 times you could also reply...

Will I get problems if I try to install the msi setups I created on a VMware machine on my actual machine?

And instead of bieng an a** you could also have the patience for members to reply!!

I have all the patience in the world...

And you only had a day to do so....

it'll be very hard to add an extra program or to replace an existing one with an upgrade  :zzz:

i think it's easier to use the regular method.

Well the thing is that Wininstall for example just looks what the changes were you made since the last checkpoint... So it should also take note of the updates on programs... I think its possible to use such programs to make one huge .msi file to install everything you need... I myself just packed some programs into seperate msi files, I only did this with programs I couldnt find a switch for or programs of which I wanted to custumize the installation...

I succesfully installed Dreamweaver, Mcafee personal firewall, Direct Connect ++, Kazaa lite, bittorent, Picture Toolbar, Winamp, Gordian Knot Codec pack, K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and messenger plus using some mixed msi files... It works great...

Its also very usefull to register software with, even when you dont use the msi packed versions in the installation of the programs...

For example I installed Nero on a vmware machine, I started the program up but didnt register yet, I then ran discovery of Wininstall so that it would capture all the regestry keys and files at that moment, then I entered the regestry key and then I let discovery make the msi file of the changes, all I needed was the regestry key so I took that to use it on my own in the batch file...

I did the same with Dreamweaver, only in the case of dreamweaver I just recorder the complete installation...