_ALL_ Files stuck as read-only

Ankle

I just did a clean install on both my PCs after testing a slipstreamed sp2 xp disc that was setup in nlite for unattended in vmware many times and it worked fine. That is until I did the clean installs. Afterwards on both PCs all files are read only. Including all my backed up files on another drive apparently. 25GB+ of unreplacable files and stuff that would take ages to download again on 56k so loosing everything != acceptable.

I've tried booting into BartsPE and removing file attributes but it did nothing, I tried attrib -H -S -R * /s on C:\ and once again, nothing worked. Access denied for _everything_.

For the love of all things holy and fluffy kittens, help! Panic attack overwhelming. icon_9mmshampoo.gif

Seems to be a SP2 bug, on all the clean installs windows is showing read only greyed out and checkmarked on all folders. All my files seem to be fine now other than any LiteStep rc files still give me access denied...

This can't be an SP2 bug - SP2 by itself has not these kind of crippling errors. Also, check if you downloaded nLite from somewhere other than the official download location - nowadays a lot of cracking and warez sites are distributing it - you never know what they might have done to it.

Seems to be a SP2 bug, on all the clean installs windows is showing read only greyed out and checkmarked on all folders.

This isn't crippiling, just irritating display bug that I've come across with every SP2 slipstream installed, including the one I did without nlite.

I downloaded nlite from the official site, and it doesn't seem to be anything to do with nlite as a normal install of SP2 slipstreamed is having the same problems for me.

Manage to work though almost all my problems though, just need to figure out why LiteStep isn't working properly and two of my fonts don't properly display...

I'm having the same problem with the read only checkbox. My files aren't read only, but the box is showing that 'some' of them are, when viewing properties on a directory. Even when viewing files on a network share with write access, it'll display the read only mark.

What about the security attributes, are those set correctly. Also who is the 'owner' of those files. Try taking ownership and applying appropriate write permissions to various groups.

EDIT:

You can probably get the default drive permissions from one of the drives you did the fresh install from, and apply to all sub-folders and files.

Admin group is the owner, tried setting my own account as owner, same thing. Full control is set to my account and admin group.

What about on the subfolders and files when you set the permissions for the drive/folder in the security dialog -> Advanced -> and make sure "Replace permission entries on all child objects with enteries with entries shown here that apply to child objects" is checked.

Also when setting the owner, check "Rplace owner on subcontainers and objects"

That's what I did. Considering a format and clean install with sp2 slipstreamed has all folders display readonly as both checked and greyed out I'd say it's a display bug in sp2 with the properties dialog for sure. Every install I've done encounered it as has Yavar and Kagaku and some friends who recently upgraded also seem to have the same thing happen with all folders.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Did anyone affected in this thread arrive at a solution? I have some applications that need to write to log files to work properly and they cant because every single file is read only. I have sp2 as well, I have seen at least 4 separate threads about this problem two of them have more ppl than the creators of the threads saying they have the same issue. Someone must know something... at least I hope so this is unbearable. :'(