VMware is OMG...

jcarle

I've HEARD of VMware being talked about, I've never much read about it... and for the first time, I'm trying it... and it's....

OMG...

It's so out of this world cool that I think my head's going to implode from giddyness...

It's a truly divine tool. Well, I've found it useful for these reasons:

- testing out unattended installs

- virtually using OSes that don't support my newer "real" hardware

- It runs on windows and linux, so no matter which OS I am working on atm, I simply start my virtual machine from its defined partition

- installing my real usable OS within VMware (on a different partition) and all apps installed and configured (that way, if my host OS goes down I can simply format/re-install host OS and install VMware and open my virtual machine to boot-up into a perfect environment)

- setting up a virtual network (run 5 VMs simultaneously, and network them to see what I mean - low cost, and easily test your networking changes as a proto-type before actually carrying it out)

Well, there's gotta be ....... free
Well, a slight bit of searching right there would have helped:

BOCHS

That one is free and open-source. BOCHS is a true emulator, so it is painfully slow - but yes, its there for those who want it. Not remotely as easy nor as powerful as the top 2 Virtual simulation apps.

I just read that Microsoft bought a VM solution from Connectix a bit of time ago and now they have Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 out as a result of it.

My question is, since I'm doing nothing but XP installs, would Virtual PC be better then VMware? Or are they about the same? Or... what?

@aaron i'm sure u've made more setups that I did so i'm asking did u, in your installs with vpc choose "give full cpu or ram or whatever to vpc?"

I think there was an option like that?

(ps not calling u stupid or anything just wondering if u tried it or not, bc I didn't have the change to try that, i'm wondering if it actually speeds things up? or was that just give more cpu to the active virtual pc?)

tnx

Yes, despite using that option, VPC2004 is slower.

VMware is far more full-featured, VPC is very easy to use. That's (sort-of) an immediate noticeable difference. My uA install takes 25 mins to complete on my real machine, 28 mins on VMware, and 80 mins on VPC. And I have integrated the drivers for the Virtual machine in each case. All conditions were similar, HD was fine and de-fragmented.

@aaron i'm sure u've made more setups that I did so i'm asking did u, in your installs with vpc choose "give full cpu or ram or whatever to vpc?"

I think there was an option like that?

(ps not calling u stupid or anything just wondering if u tried it or not, bc I didn't have the change to try that, i'm wondering if it actually speeds things up? or was that just give more cpu to the active virtual pc?)

tnx

Yeah, it still speeds it up slightly, but its still bad compared to VMWare :)

They need to get off their butts and add FULL Direct X Support, along with being able to manage the Video RAM...

if they did this, we could all use Linux, with VMWare running Windows and have the best of both worlds.

WineHq is simply moving way too slow and isn't very reliable