HELP again - Kernel problem.. can't install SP2

roger04

I'm still having this problem since I wanted to upgrade to SP2.. my ntoskrnl.exe is changed.. I've extracted the same file from the original Win XP CD but still got the same error. BTW, the Windows I installed is a MSDN type of file. Could this be one of the problem? Is there any other way to upgrade my windows? Thanks..

Roger,

check your boot.ini the remains of the changed kernel should be in there

if u want post it here..

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=works.exe

The 1st line the original, the 2nd is the one I extracted from the Win XP CD

The 2nd line did not work and give me a blue screen

the Windows I installed is a MSDN type of file

What do u mean by that ?

I dont know how to explain this.. but it's somehow MSDN... :blink:

The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) is a set of online and offline services designed to help developers write applications using Microsoft products and technologies. We're committed to making MSDN the premiere location for developer resources on the Web and are implementing changes to improve the usability of the site. Learn more about MSDN.
http://www.msdn.com

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=works.exe

well okay u're just going to delete those /kernel=etc..exe and it should be okay

so:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

well okay u're just going to delete those /kernel=etc..exe and it should be okay

so:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I did as u said, still got the error :(

I also wanna state that even when I got my Windows directory reformatted and reinstalled I still had the same prob even when I did not touch that kernel file

What could the problem be?

Hey roger04 what file version is your ntoskrnl have you comared it with the version on the CD

1.88 MB

1.89 MB(disk)

I still have the original file on my pc.. same as the one on CD

Actually although I have "reinstalled" windows.. my NTOSKRNL.exe in my windows/system32 says it was created on August 23 2001, which my be the time I firstly installed windows.. Now maybe this is the problem? I'm still having the old ntoskrnl?? :}

• 2 weeks later...
Hey roger04 what file version is your ntoskrnl have you comared it with the version on the CD

1.88 MB

1.89 MB(disk)

I still have the original file on my pc.. same as the one on CD

Actually although I have "reinstalled" windows.. my NTOSKRNL.exe in my windows/system32 says it was created on August 23 2001, which my be the time I firstly installed windows.. Now maybe this is the problem? I'm still having the old ntoskrnl?? :}

Did you have installed sp1 ?

The ntoskrnl.exe on the windows xp and the ntoskrnl of the windows sp1 are different