BOOT.INI switches location, in SETUP files

Now, before ANYONE says they're located in BOOT.INI in %systemdrive%, I already know that :)

This question is geared more towards those who have delved into the inner workings of the XP setup, and you know who you are....

Any idea where SETUP stores/generates the switches for BOOT.INI?

I'm looking to either change/remove the /NoExecute switch and replace it with /Execute (disabling DEP in essence). Bootcfg.exe can't do it, and I could pipe the text out via ECHO in a batch, but then Windows would have to be installed on the same partition on EVERY computer (not gonna happen)

hi alanoll,

you have just asked the question i would have asked after another 3h-googling-session for that. i hope someone can help on this...

cya

Killer Bee

what do you think I did first? spend a day scouring the net :)

that would work if

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)

were constant on all my systems (same disc, 4 systems, EACH different in almost everyway)

However, for those with just one system and want to remove something.

The /noexecute parameter enables no-execute protection, which prevents the contents of memory pages that store data from being executed as code.

This parameter is valid only on boot entries for 32-bit versions of Windows running on AMD64 processors, and only when physical address extension (PAE) is also enabled. (See /pae.)

No-execute protection is enabled by default on computers with AMD64 processors when they are running in long mode (64-bit addressing). There are no boot parameters to enable or disable this feature in long mode.

More Info

The thing is, it's not really and truly active unless you have a DEP enabled processor, AMD64, Opterons, or the brand spanking new Intels. None of which I have, but I"ve just been curious about this for awhile..... :)

It also changes the way the kernel views the way to run programs. Even if you don't have a DEP enabled processor, the memory is still allocated, which may or may not cause problems.

@BeenThereB4

I think I may have a way to use your suggestion. I'll post back when I get some sleep and if I remember the idea. Basically use BOTH INI programs included with XPCREATE. One to get the key name, and use the second to set it. SHould work, but in my setup, that could be ALOT of conditional statements (YEAH BOOLEAN LOGIC)

What you want is a basic text file search and replace utility. You may find rep.exe somewhere on the net. A better bet would be a Win32 port of gsar (general search and replace), which is part of the gnu utility set. You can get a set of Win32 unix utils here. Quite useful really, and free. You'll have to work out the syntax to do what you want.