Flash Player unattended install

During the T-13 stage of unattended setup I want to install the Mozilla/Firefox Flash plugin. I have two questions about this.

First, I downloaded the "corporate" flash/shockwave MSI files. They install silently very well, but don't include the Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape plugin. I know, for example, with Sun's JRE there's an option of "MOZILLA=1" that you can pass to the MSI. Is there anything similar to this for Flash?

Second, since the above wasn't working very well, I tried to play around with the normal Flash Player installer. It turns out if you run the setup program with a /s switch it installs the plugin just fine, but at the end it opens up a browser window informing me that I just installed Flash. As much as I appreciate Macromedia's lovely advertisements and informative website, I'd like to stop this since I'm going to be running the setup program during the unattended setup. Is there any switch to prevent the browser window from opening at the end?

An answer to either of these would solve my problem. Of course, I'd also be grateful if someone had another solution to installing Flash without any user interaction.

Thanks.

The flash player (non-corporate) is the one to use to update Mozilla products. It installs just fine with the "/s" switch during T-12 (cmdlines stage).

What you are actually missing though, is the registry entries for firefox. Customize the below registry chunk to your environment/requirements:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;regkeys for FireFox 0.9.1 to make sure most plugins, like flash etc., install correctly
;Make sure these are added before installing the plugins

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1]
"GeckoVer"="1.0.1"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1\bin]
"PathToExe"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\firefox.exe"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1\Extensions]
"Components"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Components"
"Plugins"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Plugins"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla]
"CurrentVersion"="1.7"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox]
"CurrentVersion"="0.9.1 (en)"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\0.9.1 (en)\Main]
"Create Desktop Shortcut"=dword:00000000
"Create Start Menu Shortcut"=dword:00000000
"Create Quick Launch Shortcut"=dword:00000000
"Program Folder Path"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\"
"Install Directory"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\"
"PathToExe"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\firefox.exe"

;==============================
; offer Firefox as an option on the "Internet" Sticky app on WinXP Start Menu

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe]
@="Mozilla Firefox"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\firefox.exe,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\firefox.exe\""

; Give details to make Thunderbird the default e-mail client

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"
"DLLPath"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Mozilla\\Thunderbird\\mozMapi32.dll"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Mozilla\\Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Mozilla\\Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe -mail"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\properties]
@="Thunderbird &Options"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\properties\command]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Mozilla\\Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe -options"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto]
@="URL:MailTo Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe -compose \"%1\""
; general app settings

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Thunderbird 0.7.1\bin]
"PathToExe"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla\\Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe"

That helps me to have flash player (newest v7.0.19) available through firefox right from first-run.

@prathapml:

I don't think Vann misses any Firefox regkeys. What he's missing is a way to install the flash plugin silently (i.e. without a browser-window popping up).

@Vann:

I use Mozilla at the moment, but the setup is exactly the same because Firefox uses the Mozilla codebase. Things to try:

1) You can run the silent Flash installer (flashsetup.exe /s) and after that use taskkill.exe to kill all browser-windows. But you'll have to know what's the default browser when running this install... You could also try:

REM Run the Flash installer 'silenty'
flashsetup.exe /s

REM Kill all remaining browser-windows
taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe
taskkill /F /IM mozilla.exe
taskkill /F /IM firefox.exe
REM Add your own exe's if another browser is the default!

So that whether Firefox, Internet Explorer or Mozilla is the default browser, it would be killed.

2) You could also try to just copy the plugin and related files to Firefox/Mozilla's plugin-directory. For this you would need the three Flash-files: GetFlash.exe, GetFlash.exe.manifest & NPSWF32.dll, and the location of the plugins directory, probably C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\. It works for me!

Anyways, goodluck in solving the problem!

Edit: First install the flash-plugin as normal, then copy the three mentioned files from the plugins dir.

• 10 months later...
2) You could also try to just copy the plugin and related files to Firefox/Mozilla's plugin-directory. For this you would need the three Flash-files: GetFlash.exe, GetFlash.exe.manifest & NPSWF32.dll, and the location of the plugins directory, probably C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\. It works for me!
++

And it's even easier if you use LaptoniC's Silence of the Foxes to make the Firefox installer; just put them in the plugins folder before you compile everything.

• 2 months later...
Try these:

http://www.macromedia.com/go/fl_sw_exe_installer

http://www.macromedia.com/go/fl_sw_installer

The bottom link is an .msi, so silent installs should be pretty self-explanatory

but what version of Shockwave player is this?

And for what borwser are the plugins?

EDIT: i answer myself...is the silent installer of 7.0.0.19 for Internet Explorer only.

Other question, is there the 8.0.0.22 version msi?

Edited by Kapo