help me upgrade

steinrf

If you follow the link to BIOS you will se that an upgrade will make it possible to use amd xp 2200. it says this goes for turbo2, but I mailed www.Komplett.no and they too sayd I can go for amd xp 2200. all this is making me very unsure. dont wanna buy the rong cpu and dont wanna buy a new motherboard if I dont have to.

S

your motherboard says it only suports upto a 200mhz front side bus but athlon xp chips have a 266mhz FSB.

its not that hard to change a mother board there not that expensive to buy either considering they are kind of the main part of your pc.

im lazy and havent gone to check the site out, but if a bios upgrade will allow you to use the new cpu and your boards makers say so then... yes it should work.

BUT

as luke pointed out your fbs is much lower than the cpu, it would be like buying a ferrari engine and putting it in a tank. you wont get what you expect from it and it may even be unstable under load. you would be effectivley strangling your cpu.

a motherboard is pretty cheap, and most of the good ones out there are well worth the money, some to check out would be

soyo

MSI

ABIT

they all have the best AMD boards about at the moment, any one of their latest offerings will be a good buy, it just depends on what you expect from your motherboard, eg: i chose the MSI kt 3 ultra aru, because i want to have a raid setup soon, abit dont have raid on their mobo, but its faster,.. etc etc.

if you cant afford both, but want to be able to buy the cpu and use it while you save for the motherboard that will give you the best from it,

then according to what you say you can do that, BIOS flashing can be difficult depending on the make and age of your motherboard however, and you could even render it useless (unless you have a new bios chip posted to you, which can take weeks of waiting!)

hope it all goes well

Well you`re right its not my first language but would you say this is perfect english:

its not that hard to change a mother board there not that expensive to buy either considering they are kind of the main part of your pc.

I know how to replace a motherboard. the fact that Im a newbie at this forum doesnt mean Im stupid. but thanks for good answers. guess I have to call MSI to ask them since no one bothers to check out my link.

S

ok. lets make fun of me....

i wasnt making fun of you.

i wasnt treating u like your stupid , i was treating you like i would anyone else that comes heres its best to assume who ever your talking to doesnt know much about pc's so your sure they will understand you.

i told your your mother board only suports 200mhz FSB chips

i think thats upto a 1.4ghz athlon although it would be hard to find a 200mhz fsb athlon these days as they also made 266mhz fsb athlons.

all the athlon XP chips are 266mhz FSB.

you cant flash your mother boards bios with a newer one and magically get a motherboard that has a 266mhz front side bus.

the technical suport people you emailed obviously didnt have a clue and assumed any amd cpu will go in any amd motherboard.

most technical suport people are idiots who dont know what there talking about companys arent prepared to pay high wages for quality staff they would rather train someone for 2 weeks and pay them peanuts.

true.. i rang my isp last week asking them to enable me a new MAC address and the girl on the end of the phone thought i was moving house! lol

true story.

steinrf, nobodys here to patronise or insult you, but we have to assume you know nothing,, or we end up posting more and more instructions, easier to get it all out in one post and then other people who read it too who actually dont know can make sense of it easily.... maybe that didnt make sense...

:)

if you like MSI boards, my personal recomend is the KT3 Ultra ARU

i bolded ARU as theres two versions of the ultra board, ones rubbish, but the aru model is great, excellent bios, RAID if you want it, it will run an athlon 2200XP i believe too, i run a 2100XP, but check the stats on the msi site to be sure.

ive looked at the link, dragons is right your mobo wont run a 2200XP chip im afraid buddy, your going to need a bit more cash for a mobo.

[edit]

then i found this:

BIOS Type  Award® BIOS  File Size  275KB  

Version  3.5  Update date  2002-6-30  

Update Description  -Support AMD XP 2200+ (K7T Turbo2 only)

-Fixed AMD XP 1700+ misdisplay issue (For K7T Turbo, K7T Turbo Limited & K7T Turbo2 only)

-Update OnBoard Promise BIOS to support 160G HDD  

Special note  ,  

Download   6330v35.exe  

but the cpu support page says it wont run anything faster than a 1.4ghz athlon, and thats the very top end, it wont run many other chips, such as an athlon 1.33G.

i understand why your confused, one part of the site says it will run it, the other says it wont.

that BIOS update page is for a series of boards, the kt7, kt7 turbo and turbo 2, and your board, the pro 2.

that bios update is only for the other versions of your board, not the pro 2.

like ELITE said though, your not going to alter your FSB, i think it would be a waste of cash putting a 2200XP in a turbo 2 even, as you would be choking it to death with that FSB, you probably wouldnt tell the difference between a 1.4ghz or a 2200XP with a 200mhz FSB :rolleyes:

This is pretty interesting, check this out:

I recently bough a Chaintech 7AJA2E Mobo and later i found out that it was only 200mhz fsb and that the 7AJA2 is the 266mhz fsb version. But I already bought my 1.33ghz 266mhz fsb and when I set it all up it didnt want to boot up after that I found the jumpers on the board that would set the multiplier manually, so i set the multiplier to max (6.5) and then It booted up fine at 1.29GHZ.

So you can probably upgrade just the CPU only it won't run at maximum speed.