Windows Media Player as a DVD player?

Searching the forum for "codec" brings up a lot of hits, and it's hard to sort it all out....

What would I need to do exactly to get WMP9 working as a DVD player? I have full installations for both PowerDVD and WinDVD, but I like to keep my programs down to a minimum (this is for my office). Plus, I'm having problems with an unattended PowerDVD (see HERE).

I know that by default, WMP can't play DVDs. So what can I do to turn it into a DVD player? Is there a codec I can simply extract from either of those programs, and drop it in the System32 folder? It's probably not that easy, though. :)

DVDPack and MP3Pack are MSI I always keep in a backup disk. MP3Pack enable WMP9 to encode audio file to MP3 instead of WMA.

For now I don't have a DVD Player but I keep DVDPack for when I will buy one.

I'm enough sure DVDPack (even if I have not test it) is like MP3Pack, so Yes, you just have to add this MSI in your batch and it will enable WMP9 as a DVD player with nothing else to do.

If it don't please give me a feed back about it.

:)

Just checked out DVDPack. I'm not sure, but I believe it just installs Cyberlink's PowerDVD decoder *.dll in System32 and registers it. Not sure if it's illegal though, to distribute that *.dll without PowerDVD ... But it'll probably work for WMP because in Windows XP's installation it says "Play's DVD's (with external decoder)"

Well, I'm not worried about legality, since we're fully licensed for PowerDVD anyway.

But if that isn't a very current version of the decoder, will that affect me at all? And if so, am I able to somehow pull the decoder out of the PowerDVD installation package that I have?

@peter o.

It's surely not legal like many files distributed on the Web but if you use it for your personal use (not distribution) - As long as you don't host those files on your own Web site well I don't mind if others take this risk.

The legality of the Web possibilities, is and will be for a long time, a problem.

The old laws are just ineffective like for P2P.

It's off-topics - sorry.