"Styled" Command Prompt

tosk

Does anyone know if it's possible to extend visual styles to the console window, that is to say, the command prompt? I know it can be done with WindowBlinds, but I don't like the overhead incurred by WB. What I wanted to know is if it could be done without using any 3rd party skinning/styling apps.

not that i have seen. all i have uncovered has been w/ changing the color of the text and background of it.

here is the code for that:

;Default Command Prompt Color
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]
"DefaultColor"=dword:0000000a

changes the background to black and the text to a limegreen type color.

Use "Console" to do it, it's a SHELL for CMD.EXE

Get it at sourceforge.net, do a search for "Console". The accompanying readme details all what you need to know to get it to work.

I'm using it and it works like a charm :)

• 2 months later...

1. To change the colors of your command prompt - try right-clicking the Command Prompt shortcut in your Start menu.

Select Properties and there it is. Go ahead and change the colors! =b

2. Make cmd.exe use your visual style instead of "classic" by using this little app:

http://www.simtel.net/product.php?id=68411

It does NOT modify your software - it will just create a .manifest file read by Windows. A manifest file makes sure Windows will apply visual styles for the application specified.

I must agree with prathapml...

Windows won't look for a manifest file for the cmd.exe file.

Any other program, it will either look for a "RT_MANIFEST" resource in the file iteself or a "program.exe.manifest" file in the same directory and the file.

Microsoft didn't allow the command prompt to be themed for compatibility reasons.

I'm still to find a way to theme the command prompt but I don't think there is one.

Alright ... just to clarify things on my side. The below registry file will change the colors to black background and green foreground. Now from what I can tell these colors only apply when I use the shortcut under Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt

Am I wrong on this issue, because for the life of me when I go to Start>Run and type command ... the colors arent changed.

REGEDIT4

"EnableExtensions"=dword:00000001
"DefaultColor"=dword:0000000a
"CompletionChar"=dword:00000009

Well, I apply this:

; Set an exotic Command Prompt color
"DefaultColor"=dword:00000085

At T-12 (through cmdlines.txt) - and the colour specifying, sticks. Even if I "Run" CMD, like you are asking, the specified colors stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mazin. Sorry for a late reply but I didn't see your post until now.

I have successfully installed Console unattended. After extracting the Console archive, I used this in my RunOnceEx.cmd:

"RunDll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 %systemdrive%\programs\console\console.inf" /f

That same command, minus the /f, should work from a batch file, GUIRunOnce, etc.

Here's the page for console:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/

For people who use another command processor other than cmd.exe, you can set the ComSpec value in this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

Console will use whatever ComSpec is set to by default. For example, mine is set to %SystemDrive%\4nt\4nt.exe. For my unattended CD, I used an expandable string value so %systemdrive% would be resolved correctly.

• 3 months later...

Probably a bit late but I've made a silent install version of Console that also registers a decent monospaced font called Crystal. It's compiled with NSIS (Nullsoft installer).

The uninstaller only removes the program files not the Console Here reg entry. If there's enough interest I can do this too.

Anyone want it? If so I'll provide a link. It might be a bit specific for some people (e.g. it's configured for small window with border docked to the bottom right). You can always copy over the console.xml file though should you want your on settings. Well anyway just a thought.