What's the best Hard Disk Scanner?

SiMoNsAyS

@MCT :rolleyes: . from months i'm getting a blue screen and after check all the posibilites i haven't found a solution. finally someone recommend me to deep scan my hard disk but chkdsk does not find anything and i don't know what to do know. come on guys "MSFN needs you! :) " ( :D )

Do they still do Norton DiskDoctor? (from the Systemworks Suite)

I think chkdsk is the best you can get, since Microsoft won't release particular NTFS specifications to anyone else.

Hi people,

I've long been a firm believer in Spinrite by Steve Gibson.

And now he's just gone and released version 6 which is now both NTFS and linux compatible.

It's quite steep at $89 for first time buyers but I reckon it's an invaluable tool in the technicians inventory. Nothing else like it on the market. I've managed to recover about 10 drives over the past 10 or so years when nothing else came close.

Whilst I may sing its praises, pop over to http://grc.com and you'll see what I mean.

Loz.

Hi people,

I've long been a firm believer in Spinrite by Steve Gibson.

And now he's just gone and released version 6 which is now both NTFS and linux compatible.

It's quite steep at $89 for first time buyers but I reckon it's an invaluable tool in the technicians inventory.  Nothing else like it on the market.  I've managed to recover about 10 drives over the past 10 or so years when nothing else came close.

Whilst I may sing its praises, pop over to http://grc.com and you'll see what I mean.

Loz.

now that i've visited the Spinrite site i see that it boots from DOS but that it's a problem with SATA drives... does it support them??

does it repair HD problems or it's a file recovery tool??

has a shareware version??

• 2 weeks later...
what does your blue screen say?

any 000000x0 numbers?

@XtremeMaC thanks for your reply. no, it doesn't says anything only a lighter blue screen than normal. i havedone many things and i still can solve it, i'll try format again and a clean installation of xpsp2 slipstreamed.

about Spinrite: it's a dos utility, works with SATA drives and can repair HD problems but it doesn't have any shareware version so you can not test it until bought :)

I know there is many 3rd party software that does the job but is anyone better than windows scandisk??

ps: i'm looking for the best so comparatives and pages with information will be appreciated :)

How about something from your hard disk manufacturers support site?

WD has data life guard.

If chkdsk /r (implies the /F switch as well) can't fix whatever is wrong, then I seriuosly doubt any 3rd party tool will fair better.

Sometimes you have to run it multiple time till it comes up clean... it has always worked for me.