change the boot behavior

jsposato

There is a bootsector out there that will only boot from CD if you "press any key" This means that you push "any key" the first time you boot up that way you boot from the CD and then after that it will boot form the hard drive (as long as you don't press "any key")

if you go the the msfn's unattended website (unattened.msfn.org) you should be able to find it there...if not nLite definately has that option when you make a windows ISO!

I hope that helped!

Good luck!

It's a file in I386 called bootfix.bin

Exactly!

If you have the bootfix.bin file in I386, when booting from that CD setup will ask you to "Press Any Key to boot from CD" - and if you don't press any key for those 3 seconds, your OS on the HDD will boot-up.

If you delete that file, setup will directly load without waiting for you to press any key.

What I'm looking to do is make it so that when you put the CD in and turn on the computer, it will boot from the CD and run winnt.exe /u:unattend.txt (example). If this is possible, could someone point me to some step by step tutorial or something?

Why not start experimenting by using the info from this wonderful guide, and if that is too difficult for you, using XPCREATE?

You can't forever be asking theoretical questions you know! Start doing what you want, and you'll get it right.

If you rename your "unattend.txt" to "winnt.sif" and put it in the I386 folder, you can have a fully automated setup, right from the point of booting.

Some people just don't read.

Even the Microsoft documentation tells you that if you put WINNT.SIF in I386 it will become an Unattended disc from boot. You'll still need to arguments /u: if you want it Unattended through windows though (starting the intall from windows)

Alanoll-

I apologize if my lack of knowledge frustrates you. This is the first time I am attempting to do this. I didn't want the answer hand fed to me, I asked for links to info/tutorials. I have nothing against learning, but the forums are here to help. I am an extremely busy Net Admin trying to cut our installation times down through automation.

I've read some of your other posts and I've found them to be very informative. I will try to be more diligent before posting questions, however sometimes my lack of time gets the better of me.

Thanks for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

If your only concern is with an unattended install on a totally clean maching (brand new or recently formatted) simply use the winnt.sif file on the CD and DO NOT create a partition on the hard drive. Leave it RAW before you boot with the new CD.

Setup will skip the "Press any key . . ." and simply start setup, since there is nothing else to boot from (no partition on the hard drive) it will just boot from the CD, run everything according to how you've set up the answer file and bingo, you're done.

Mic

On that subject ... the way the boot sector works is that it will prompt with the "Press any key to boot from CD" message if a bootable partition is detected, otherwise it will boot directly to the CD.

Thanks for the input, MicjustMic, and ... Welcome to MSFN!