the MOST irritating XP bug yet....

premier69

i have the odd problem of describing this xp bug.

after a few hours of uptime internet explorer and outlook starts acting as if i dont have an internet connetion, and sometimes it acts as if it were glitching, for examlpe:

i visit www.imdb.com and it loads partially, most pictures dont load (marked where it should be with "x") and miscolored.

and i reload for it to display without even a second of waiting "page could not be displayed", yet again i press refresh for it to display the site in perfect condition, this happens on all sites.

about the same time outlook starts nagging me to check the internet connection....

but when this all fu*ks up im still able to download and upload through various applications, browse ftp's and stuff like that, the only thing that works is rebooting the computer.

after another few hours the loop starts over.

i've noticed that if i just logout and log in all works well, but for even shorter time.

please oh please help me.

and just now i installed firefox which also is affected.

What kind of internet connection are you using?

I've read in some papers a while ago that in Windows XP, sometimes the internet connection goes down and comes back again without any problem if you're in a wireless environment. In the article, it also said that there was no cure for that and who ever wrote the article asked to the M$ employee that for right now, there's no way of solving the problem. Hope it's fixed in the coming SP2.

Best luck to you :)

if your useing a NIC check the power management settings on the NIC in the device manager, used to see this alot with 3COM cards and the os turning them off thinking they weren't in use.

I had a similar problem when my laptop sleeps, it switches the wireless card off, I changed the setting to make sure that it never got turned off, because it did not reconnect with the setting on.

I live in sweden and have ADSL , not wireless. but i do have a 3com network card so i will try changing the power settings..

also, the funny thing is that when this starts happening to my computer the other computers in my network still function fine, including the xbox, they can all connect to the internet as usual, i am running a gateway system where all computers are connected to a switch into my second network card and my 3com NIC to the adsl modem.

I have norton corp ed. 8.1.1 installed so i dont think its a virus problem, i also have netpeeker that keeps a steady eye on all applications using the internet.

• 1 month later...

I noticed you mentioned netpeeker...

I was having a very similar problem for a while; http connections would all die spontaneously once or twice a day, or would only half work. Bit Torrent, newsgroups and every other connection would die. Local network transfers would also go offline or be really slow. The only thing that would work was ping and DNS lookups (nslookup), and even then only occasionally.

I eventually narrowed this down to Netpeeker, which I had never previously had a problem with, but this which occasionally caused this windows install to bluescreen.

I've stopped running it now and haven't had a problem which is a shame, because it's a really good program otherwise.

Anyway, hope this helps someone to avoid tearing their hair out.

Cya.