The feeling after using Firebox and Thunderbird (2

Wai_Wai

People recommend me to use Firebox and Thunderbird.

I tried today, and found they are not as good as I expect (Anyway, my little opinion though).

In this passage, I try to compare Thunderbird with Outlook Express(OE).

[in the following, you will see the * beside the point. It means the point I value/concern]

Thunderbird

Strong Points

*- It uses slightly less resources than OE (eg 1MB less)

*- more viewing filters to choose from for reading posts

*- an advanced mode of making viewing filters

- can toggle the message as unread/read by a mouse click

- can copy folder location by a mouse click

Weak Points

*- cannot label a message as important etc. by clicking shortcut toolbar icons or one mouse click

*- cannot add "search" as a shortcut toolbar icon

- less customization to choose in the options

- less security-related optional are available to apply.

Next message please!

The above is just my little opinion.

Any comment would be very welcome.

Please introduce any other alternatives which can fulfil the points I concern.

Other questions:

*- is it no signature available (when sending posts in newsgroups)? If so, how?

*- is it possible to assign different signatures to different newsgroups? If so, how?

- is it possible to download a selected no. of posts and read them offline? If so, how?

*- is it possible to move the following folders into a specific place (If so, how?):

--- address book

--- mail

--- all newsserver posts

Currently I just want news client program only. I haven't use mail client. I use web-based mail server (eg Yahoo!) and I don't know how to use Yahoo! in my mail client. What's more, I dn't see any real advantage to do so. what're advantages and disadvantages of using mail clients and web-based email sites?

Any comment would be very welcome.

Please introduce any other alternatives which can fulfil the points I concern.

i dont like thunderbird because it cant handle hotmail so i goes back to OE. thats the only reason for me.

Because Hotmail belongs to Microsoft(MS), and OE belongs to MS, so they are compatiible.

But since Thunderbird is the enemy of OE, so Hotmail = no way?! :)

i dont like thunderbird because it cant handle hotmail so i goes back to OE. thats the only reason for me.

Because Hotmail belongs to Microsoft(MS), and OE belongs to MS, so they are compatiible.

But since Thunderbird is the enemy of OE, so Hotmail = no way?! :)

then thunderbird must make @thunderbird.com :rolleyes:

but i know that, but i use hotmail so thunderbird is needles for me.

Hello.

Well haven't used OE for ages and I forgot if it has the search function on the toolbar.But thunderbird has it on edit.

U can have signature.All you have to do is make a text document with what you want inside to display as a sig,save it where you like and edit the server settings to point to where you've saved it.

Whatever you're asking is inside the manual.So RTFM :)

Thunderbird has many many features.

AND its BETTER than OE!!

Absolutely anything is better than OE crap, considering the number of bugs/security-holes it is bullet-ridden with. OE is a red-carpet welcome to worms and viruses, and has enough bugs built-in to annoy you even if it doesn't manage to fetch viruses for your pleasure :)

If you want to try more alternatives, check out Eudora and IncrediMail for e-mail clients. Keep in mind they are both paid products, though.

See here about how you can use thunderbird with a Yahoo free e-mail account. Does that balance the lack of hotmail-accessibility ?

Also, if you want to discuss things such as where to access a certain feature from, and whether or not some capabilities you take for granted are available in thunderbird - why not join their IRC chat? Gives you far quicker replies, from much more knowledgeable people.

As for your experience with Firefox (not 'Firebox' as you called it, LOL):

1. IE6 has become pretty good (fantastic, in fact) with XP's SP2 updates, so you could stay with it.

2. If it's the interface and pop-ups and memory usage that's bugging you, check out these IE-based browsing shells - Maxthon, Avant - and see if it interests you.

3. If you still want to switch, check out the daddy of firefox - Mozilla.

4. Some more alternative browsers worth considering are - Opera, and K-Meleon (kmeleon is based on the same HTML renderer as mozilla - gecko).

Absolutely anything is better than OE crap, considering the number of bugs/security-holes it is bullet-ridden with. OE is a red-carpet welcome to worms and viruses, and has enough bugs built-in to annoy you even if it doesn't manage to fetch viruses for your pleasure  :)

ermm.... i read more and more news about critical bugs in thunderbird and firefox.... did i have say enough?

ermm.... i read more and more news about critical bugs in thunderbird and firefox.... did i have say enough?
I don't mean to flame here, but:

If you had read the same news at leisure (or seen the news at a more full-featured site) you would notice that the 'bugs' are not related to mozilla ff/TB as such. They just get impacted on the windows platform (like opera/all other) browsers did. The same vulnerability (I believe the latest 'critical' bug you mention is that of the "shell:" protocol handler) does not exist on other platforms the mozilla apps serve. The recent set of bugs 'discovered' in TB/ff are actually windows-related issues. The patch from mozilla is a workaround for a MS windows security flaw in protocol handling. Let's not get too technical here, instead, have a look - 1, 2, 3.

The fact really is that deep integration of a browser/e-mail client will cause problems, and MS are doing quite a good job of fixing them - just that it is not good *ENOUGH* when there's better alternatives out there. As my post above says, IE6 (on XP SP2) has become very good, and is at a stable situation; OE is yet to reach that feature-complete and bug-free state.

And before you brand me as a firefox fanboy, let me tell you that I actually am a loyal Opera user since 2 years. Also, that I use IE6 on all machines (other than my home PC). Just trying to even out the field and placing all the players where they deserve to stand.

uffff i thought a lot until start writing, this looks like an old thread about firefox vs. iexplorer :)

i still haven't tried thunderbird because i use hotmail (i know i know but more of my accounts are registered there :rolleyes: ). but in general terms i think mozilla products are secure and stable and if you miss something like customization give it a tray and wait for a couple of versions (talking about my experiences using firefox).

• 1 year later...
intro u the FOXMAIL found it kill spams superly @@ and can read chinese well because it is make from chinese software .....
i test thebat it cannot kill spam well...
outlook got problem with large mail inbox........
thunderbird is nice but kill spam need manual set it... to spam... as same as seamonkey....
i'm using mozilla / seamonkey for a long time....
but i change to firefox now...
so for email client i really think foxmail will do the job well... check it out and let me know if there is any better e-mail client than this one FOXMAIL...
and it is free with no banner/ advertising at all....