WinXP setup.exe

Can anyone tell if it is possible to modify the setup.exe file in an windows xp distribution?

I'd like to add some more functionality.

I think I've seen it on this forum once, a couple of monts ago. But I have no clue who did it or where I can find it.

But I think it's indeed possible.

Just being curious - what would you like to add?

i'm busy with creating a multi-boot dvd with al of the windows xp versions, i'd like to add the options to install windows xp media center and tablet pc, see the screenshot.

this one has been made with autoplay studio, but i find that to rather difficult to use, so i'd like to see if it would be easier just to change the setup.exe instead of building one from scratch.

post-66-1090661213_thumb.jpg

You need to know a programming language to be able to build your own SETUP.EXE. Visual Basic have the advantage to be easy to learn and you can build functional form very fast.

I have downloaded Autoplay Studio and if you don't want to learn programming it's a good alternative. It build the ISO DVD for you and you just need to burn. I think the difficult part for you will be to program the button to start to correct program on the DVD but if you put some effort you will see that it is not so hard to do.

If you don't need a cool Graphic-User-Interface, you could also just write a batch file to start to correct program and you put them at the root of the DVD.

Exemple WINXPSP1.CMD

START .\WINXPSP1\I386\WINNT32.EXE /parameters

You can't do much by modifying the existing autorun in the original XP cd.

At the most, you would be able to use Resource Hacker (google to get v3.4 of ResHack) to change the text-strings which call executables when you click on any of the options, and replace the bitmaps used.

A better bet is to use AutoPlay Media Studio 5.0.03 as already suggested. The latest version (v5 as mentioned) is considerably easier to use and nothing you want to do can possibly take more than 4 hours with it (whereas modifying the original setup.exe will take forever to do the right way, and will stop at a dead-end which leads nowhere).

Is it possible at all to decompile an autorun program created with AutPlay Media Studio?

No, its not at all possible.

That autorun screenshot from a multi-boot DVD that you posted above may look like a modified version of the original XP setup.exe - but it is not, the author has taken a lot of pain to make the customized autorun look as if it was modified from the original autorun.

• 4 weeks later...