Best anti-spam program for OE and Netscape mail

What have you found best for mail clients?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found best for mail clients?

• ihatespam
    • Mailshell Spamcatcher
    • McAfee spamkiller
    • spam eater
    • SpamInspector
    • SpamSleuth
    • Norton AntiSpam
    • Matador
    • Other (please suggest better ones!)

I don't want a spam program to be intrusive, take real estate away from my screen, require a lot of settings and maintenance, be difficult to search for valid mail, or fail to catch most of the spam that comes my way. So far, the nicest programs to use have all missed most of the spam. I see ads bragging 90+% effective and have never experienced anything like that.

Hope you have better suggestions and experience than I have had.

ardi

i like the freeware SPAMfighter.

Whenever new mail arrives, it will automatically be tested by the SPAMfighter server, and if it's spam, it will be moved to your spam folder. If you receive a spam mail that is not detected, push one button, and the spam mail is removed from the rest of the 450.000 SPAMfighters in 160 countries in seconds.

Outlook and outlook express only tho

Mail Washer Pro connects directly to server & downloads 1st 20 lines of text, emails can then be deleted direct, put in a filter list or bounced back. You are not at risk of virus's/spam then you can access your email client to download your safe emails. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a LOT of time on this, I've come full circle: I tried Ihatespam again and find it works best for me.

There is a new version, 4.x, and it is much improved, catches most (90+%) spam and is easy to maintain and teach.

The only thing I don't like is that it adds a toolbar that can't be shared with other toolbars. So it takes a row of real estate on my screen, but compared with the drawbacks of all the others I've tried, this is the best I can find.

BTW, Consumer Reports rates spam programs this month. They like Matador best, but Spamcatcher and Norton rate highly too. You can also see what they think about antivirus and and spyware tools in this issue. While they aren't noted as the best techies in the world, at least they are unbiased.

What have you found best for mail clients?
A good, trained eye-sight, and a fast-reading speed to recognize which mails in the inbox are spam, and which aren't.

I am a manual, do-it-yourself subscriber. I had used many of the the services/apps mentioned in the poll above, but then if you inadvertently got one of your known contacts _somehow_ listed as spam on these lists, contact becomes difficult and business suffers.

• 4 weeks later...

i use outlook to download from my yahoo

i simply sift off everything with a rule recognising the header that yahoo put in if they think its spam

a few more rules i pick up from the patterns they sometimes throw in to throw the spam filters off

anything else (not a lot) i just delete

i always check my spam folder to make sure that there is no legit mail in there tho

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the built in Junk-E-mail filter with Outlook does the job just fine, especially after the update that MS released. It learns what kinds of e-mails you recieve, and I've never had a false positive ever, with a really awesome filter rate.