Is an a/b/g wireless card worth it? (public use)

I plan to order some mini-pci wireless cards for the laptops in my office (Dell Latitude D600s). I figure I'll go with either the Dell 1350 (b/g) or the 1450 (a/b/g) for $20 more.

The reason for getting these is for wireless connectivity outside of the office, particularly convention centers and the like. But do public places ever use "a", or are they strictly "b" and "g"?

I'm not really worried about cost, since it's not my money anyway. :) I'm more concerned about possible system problems. If I wouldn't ever find an "a" network, why install a more complicated card, with more possibilities for conflicts?

The only "G" cards i have seen are back compatible with both "a" and "b" standards.

But since you aint paying !!! lol

But the new "G+" standard is coming out now as well... As wit all pc bits, when ever you buy a piece of hardware, they will release a newer model. and anyway, if its usb/pcmcia then you can always upgrade later...

Hope this is of some help.

:)

So "a" networks are pretty much non-existent, and are more of a home use sort of thing?

But just so I know, regarding mini-pci cards that handle all three -- can they be a little "buggy"? I would think so. Since a and b/g are not compatible, I'd think there could be some flakiness if they co-existed on one card.