Cyber Axe

i'm creating an OS CD that will alow me to install

MS-DOS 6.22

MS-DOS 7.10

Win 95 OSR 1 & 2

Windows 98 SE

Windows ME

and all their updates

but when it comes to MS-DOS 6.22 the origonal Setup.exe didnt allow installing form a CD or Hard Disk since it checked the Labels for a match

i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a Hex Edited version of the setup.exe that would allow installation or knew where i could get the Setup.exe from the MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 OEM Combo CD-Rom which would allow me ot install form a CD

• 1 month later...

Dos installations are very simple. There are several things you can do other than running the original setup. You could for example, format the disk (/s) and use a (dos based) sfx (zip2exe, rar dos... anything goes, even just zipped and run pkunzip) to extract the default \dos folder and typical config.sys/autoexec.bat, all this running into a 98se virtual disk, or maybe even just ghost a disk or partition from a ghost image... There's many ways to do it that are actually much better than the original dos installer. I've encountered situations where the dos installer actually corrupts your hard drive many times (might have been a disk size issue). i had to manually format /s the disk, md dos, copy all the files manually and run expand on them... so i did create a ghost image of the partition afterwards.

Dos installations are very simple. There are several things you can do other than running the original setup. You could for example, format the disk (/s) and use a (dos based) sfx (zip2exe, rar dos... anything goes, even just zipped and run pkunzip) to extract the default \dos folder and typical config.sys/autoexec.bat, all this running into a 98se virtual disk, or maybe even just ghost a disk or partition from a ghost image... There's many ways to do it that are actually much better than the original dos installer. I've encountered situations where the dos installer actually corrupts your hard drive many times (might have been a disk size issue). i had to manually format /s the disk, md dos, copy all the files manually and run expand on them... so i did create a ghost image of the partition afterwards.

i know how to do it manually or auto install it in different ways would just like the ability to install from the official setup, thanks tho

plus dont have any acess to any MSDN disks

The problem he's having is because the setup executable on the first floppy looks for the labels of the floppies... ie (Disk 1, Disk 2, and Disk 3) and since they have spaces in them there's no way to get around the setup unless use have the CD based setup.

Cheers

i have managed to get around the disk label problem all one needs to do to fix that is to hex edit the dossetup.ini however then the problem is the floppy disc emulation of CDs the maximum size is 2.88 and that can only fit the first 2 and maybe some extra files form disk 3 but not all teh files and so not everytihng needed to set it up can be installed

ive also tried uncompressing the setup.exe and hex editing it to load files form a nother drive and such however that never worked

so the setup method from the Official CD Release is what i need