Problem deleting\copying files

benners

I am running xplode at the T-12 mins stage from cmdlines.The hotfixes and programs install ok but when it comes to deleting or copying files Xplode hangs, the commands in the xml file work in the Windows enviroment but not at the gui stage of install.

This works,

<item display='Adding Start Menu Shortcuts'>
 <copy source='#SOURCEDRIVE#\Applications\$allusers\pro3' target ='#AllUsersProfile#' mask='*.*'/>

These dont,

<delete source='#AllUsersProfile#\Start Menu\Programs\Alcohol 120%'/>

<copy source='#SOURCEDRIVE#\Applications\apms\Preferences.xml' target='#ProgramFiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data\Preferences.xml'/>
 <copy source='#SOURCEDRIVE#\Applications\apms\settings.ini' target='#ProgramFiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data\settings.ini'/>

the xplode.log does not show any errors or files being deleted

Starting dialog {
  }
  Execution thread {
    Running item: 'Alcohol120%' {
      Running command: 'delete' {
        Command: delete, (3,2)
      }
    }
  }

Is this a bug or operator error? :)

try this....

<copy source='#SOURCEDRIVE#\Applications\apms\Preferences.xml' target='#ProgramFiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data'/>
 <copy source='#SOURCEDRIVE#\Applications\apms\settings.ini' target='#ProgramFiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data'/>

Nope still no joy

}
    Items Block {
      Item Block: 'Autoplay Media Studio' {
        Tag: 'copy' {
          source = 'D:\XP DVD\Applications\apms\Preferences.xml'
          target = 'C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data'
        }
          source = 'D:\XP DVD\Applications\apms\settings.ini'
          target = 'C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data\'
        }
      }
    }
  }
  Starting dialog {
  }
  Execution thread {
    Running item: 'Autoplay Media Studio' {
      Running command: 'copy' {
        Command: copy, (3,0)
        Copying file: 'D:\XP DVD\Applications\apms\Preferences.xml' -> 'C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data'
        Error:
      }
      Running command: 'copy' {
        Command: copy, (3,0)
        Copying file: 'D:\XP DVD\Applications\apms\settings.ini' -> 'C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data'
        Error:
      }
    }
  }
-=-=-=-=-=-=-> XPlode end at: 04/07/03 19:45:25

I also added a trailing slash and, tried absolute paths but these did not work in windows.

Thanks for your reply, looks like Babylon 5 season 2 is going to have to wait

hi,

in some cases i needed to copy files from CD to a temp folder to copy/move them where i want them.

Please try adding those files to your $OEM$\$1\Temp and copy them from there to the final destination.

hope this helps a bit

cya

Killer Bee

@killerbee

I placed a directory called files in the $oem$\$1 folder and used this

<item display='Autoplay Media Studio'>
  <execute display='Installing Autoplay Media Studio ' program='#sourcedrive#\Applications\apms\setup.exe'/>
  <copy source='#systemdrive#\files\Preferences.xml' target='#programfiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data\Preferences.xml'/>
  <copy source='#systemdrive#\files\settings.ini' target='#programfiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data\settings.ini'/>
 </item>

but it froze again and does not display the description of the current operation.I also tried it using the mask option

<copy source='#systemdrive#\files' target='#programfiles#\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data' mask='*.ini'/>

but that also failed, I will wait until Wraith graces us with Xplode v2 :rolleyes: and see if I am able to install at T-12, if not I will install the apps from there and either create sfx archives in Winrar to do the copying and deleting or run after first logon, just not as neat though :) .

If I get the time I will try installing from svcpack.inf, just would like to know if other people have had any luck installing\copying and deleting at this stage in the setup.

@Alanoll

I tried it with a trailing \ when I implemented the code you suggested previously, it is in the code section from my xplode.log in my 2nd post,

source = 'D:\XP DVD\Applications\apms\settings.ini'
         target = 'C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data\'

it looks like Xplode removes the \ from the line when it executes,

Copying file: 'D:\XP DVD\Applications\apms\settings.ini' -> 'C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0\Data'
       Error:

maybe Wraith subscribes to Microsofts credo of

This behaviour is by design  :)

wraith has done the best he can.......

Instead of bugging him, we can see workarounds for some requirements.

First of all, XPlode (atleast my version v1.00, don't know about later versions) does have an issue with copying files (not directories) *FROM* a CD (i.e., read-only source) on win2k during setup in GUIinstall mode [after setup finishes, it runs fine from GUIrunonce]. I solve this by keeping files in "$1\install\temp\" and thereafter, move operations on the HD run fine. On WinXP, the above issue is not seen, and everything is perfect.

@benners

I guess you are having the above problems on XPlode 1.12

Why not try using the v1.00 version (which is rock-solid stable for me, touch wood - it is the one component for me which needs no prior testing before being sure that it will work properly everywhere)? Ok, so some tags might not be available on v1, but try using it atleast for testing, to eliminate causes for your error.

Just my 2 cents towards this issue, ya know ////////

i should point out, that theoretically.....

up untill Wraith changed the extensensions (you could maybe change them back) you could replace the old plugins with the updated ones, without replacing the kernel of XPlode.

@prathapml

Why not try using the v1.00 version
thats what I have been up to last night, and although I miss the mask and guitransparent functions, as you say this does work without errors or hangs, and your right I was using v1.1.2, there are some changes needed to my DVD layout but it does look better than the RunOnce method.

As for bugging Wraith, I don't think that was the case, this is the first time I have asked for help from anyone (I think :) ) since joining, and, never pressured anybody for a solution, I did search so I did save Alanoll from having to refer me to the search engine :rolleyes: , I understand that no one is under any obligation to help and sometimes you can get p***ed off when people ask questions that are already answered but, I suppose if you have skills, and share your work as happens frequently here, you gotta expect people are gonna post their problems. /rant>.

The reply to my post in current development did seem irate, and I didn't reply because it would have probably kicked off and clogged a genuine thread up with bitchy remarks.So thanks to all for your suggestions, I'm off, back to typing.