Spam? Security issue? have you seen this?

MadGutts

I recieved this e-mail... has any one else seen this before?

Dear customer of Fleet,

The recent cases of fraudulent use of clients accounts forced the technical services of the bank to update the software. We regret to acknowledge, that some data on users accounts could be lost. The administration kindly asks you to follow the reference given below and to confirm your data. You must complete this process by clicking on the link below and entering your Fleet ATM/Debit Card number and PIN that you use on ATM. This is done for your protection because some of our members no longer have access to their email addresses and we must verify it. However, failure to login in the popup window will result in account suspension.

https://fleethomelink.fleet.com/cgi-bin/imc...ype=UCP_WELCOME

The administration asks you to accept our apologies for the caused inconveniences and expresses gratitude for your cooperation. However, failure to follow the link below will result in account suspension.

Please do not reply to this e-mail.

I am assuming this is a scam.... I Do not have any accounts with them nor have ever heard of them!

So this is warning to anyone who recieves a simular e-mail.

:)

On the "Fleet.com" homepage there was a link about email scams...

5/14/2004

Consumers should be alert for fraudulent emails that appear to be from Fleet. They include a link to a website that appears to be a legitimate Fleet webpage, asking for personal information such as your ATM/debit card number and PIN.

If you have received one of these unsolicited emails and provided confidential information through the linked website, you could be a victim of identity theft.

If you believe this has happened to you, please call us at 1-800-841-4000.

• 2 weeks later...

As to spam, I think everyone is overreacting.

Sure, spam is a bad thing, but you can delete it before even looking at it. It only takes a few mouse clicks.

Now what we should be worried are all those coupons and "Buy 10 pizzas and get 1 free" deals that we can find in our real mailboxes. It takes much more energy to throw those away. Plus, you actually have to look through them to make sure that your bills aren't there.