Alcohol 120%

Anyone know of a way to have alcohol auto set up the virtual drive right after installation? Usually it does it on it's first load, but I would like the virtual drive to be there right after my runoncex restarts.

I suppose I could auto open the application, but if I did that, I would have to close it, and I don't know of anyway for it to auto close itself after it loads the virtual drive.

Sharky, I downloaded sleep.exe from another post, and I have no idea what it is for or how to use it. Does it just run for a specified amount of time and then close? If that's the case, I have no idea when alcohol will finish installing the device--maybe a minute, perhaps two minutes. It just doesn't sound like a very reliable way to do things.

MCT, I just tried that, apparently there are certain registry entries that cannot be accessed through .reg files. I recieve an error (i attatched a screenshot)

seems like all the settings are stored in the registry for Alcohol....along with the registration...don't see why you couldnt copy the registration into a reg file..then have it install...then when you booted its all set up...I know ive used the reg file like that..when i needed to install Alcohol again..to save time.

Well yes, all the alcohol settings are in the registry. But in order for alcohol to do anything with them, alcohol needs to be started.

Let's not get off topic, what I'm trying to do is just have alcohol auto set up the virtual drive immediately following installation.

You could use DaemonScript which allows you to control Daemon Tools and Alcohol via scripts (they both use the same engine).

Get it here.

You could create a script e.g:

DeviceCount = 1

MountImage = "D:\MyTestImage.iso", Device=1

and run it with

DaemonScript.exe TestScript1.DaemonScript in your batch.

I don't know how it behaves when Alcohol hasn't been started once. You might want to try Daemon Tools because it doesn't come up with a full blown GUI when you start it.

PS I wouldn't import registry settings created by Alcohol concerning devices/services.

Well ZoSTeR, everything was looking good for daemonscript, until I uninstalled Alcohol 120%, reinstalled it, and then tried again. Apparently if you haven't run Alcohol 120% at least once it returns the error "Alcohol 120% is not installed", even after rebooting.

MCT, I just tried that, apparently there are certain registry entries that cannot be accessed through .reg files. I recieve an error (i attatched a screenshot)

at the top of your regfile did u add "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

Then a blank line, then your reg files, then another blank line @ the bottom?

regards

For anyone who cares, I figured it out. And I used daemonscript too--thanks zoster. It took a little registry investigation, thank heavens for RegShot, but here's the process (I did this on Alcohol 120% 1.9.2.1705, so if on some future release it doesn't work, don't blame me-- and if you can't get it to work on this release don't blame me either :)).

1) Install Alcohol without rebooting

2) Load the following entries into the registry:

;Register
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Info]
"UserName"="Admin"
"SerialNo"="xxxxxxx"
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Info]
"UserName"="Admin"
"SerialNo"="xxxxxxx"

;Path to Alcohol
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Alcohol.exe]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Alcohol Soft\\Alcohol 120\\"

;Add "Mount" on Virtual Device's context menu
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\AlcoholShellEx]
@="{32020A01-506E-484D-A2A8-BE3CF17601C3}"

Note: Just to explain the registry code above a little better: The register part is what you need to use Alcohol--duh! If you don't include it, DaemonScript will create a drive but it won't work properly. I use CURRENT_USER and USERS\.DEFAULT, so the currently logged in user (me) and any account that gets created after, will be registered with Alcohol. Next the path to Alcohol is needed for DaemonScript to find Alcohol. If you don't include it, it will say Alcohol is not installed (the error I got in my previous post). The last key is so when you right click on the virtual drive in My Computer it will have the "mount" sub-menu. Obviously if you don't include it "mount" will not be on the menu.

3) Run the following command

DaemonScript.exe VD1.daemonscript

I attatched both DaemonScript.exe and the script (VD1.daemonscript) in a zip.

Now your Virtual Drive should be working properly under My Computer. Well I really didn't test it thoroughly, as in I didn't mount anything, I just made sure it was there. Hopefully it will all work in my upcoming unattended CD.

MCT, yes yes I have all that stuff. I've ran into this problem before when working with certificates. I think Windows blocks access to certain keys for security reasons. Which in this case includes keys for loading device drivers, messing with hardware, etc.