Complete $OEM$ folder structure in XPCD.

Hi, :D

I am unsure if this is already asked before, but as said on the overview of the $OEM$ folder the proper structuring of the files...

Its seems kinda vague that the Documents and Settings ($Docs) on most examples i am seeing pertains only to all users (All Users). I was wondering if there could be a possibility to place files on the current profile automatically the same way that was done when pertaining to the "All Users" folder..

or there's no other choice but to copy files to UserProfile variable?

i hope you could comprehend my question, I really dunno how to put it in words... :)

Thanks in advanced for your help. :D

PS: I noticed that the title should be confusion at the $Docs folder... :rolleyes:

\i386 contains setup files from CDROM

--\$OEM Contains all supplemental files for OS

--|--\textmode contains drivers for mass storage

--|--\$$ Equivalent to %windir%

--|--|--\help contains help files

--|--|--\System32 contains files for the system 32 dir

--|--\$1 Equivalent to the root of the drive windows is to be installed

--|--|--\<pnpdrivers> contains new or updated PnP drivers

--|--|--\Sysprep all file for the sysprep

--|--\<drive letter> files to be copied to the respective drive

--|--|--\<misc> any files are valid

--|--\$Docs contains user profile files

--|--|--\Administrator

--|--|--\Default User

That what your looking for?

Roger

hi guys, thanks very much for the prompt replies. what i am looking for is a way to place files using the $OEM$\$Docs structure to the default administrator account.

i was wondering if this fixes it:

--|--\$Docs contains user profile files

--|--|--\Administrator

--|--|--\Default User

would the administrator folder change its name depending on the admin account name that i entered during the initial logon screen?

:)

Guest zippy

oobe welcome?

no, when you create user from that screen, it will create a NEW user and join him into Administrators localgroup, and continue setup (RunOnceEx) with this user. it's Administrators, but not built-in administrator.

you should follow killerbee's post. when RunOnceEx runs your sfx-archive, it will extract files into new created administraor's profileDir, not built-in administrator's profileDir($Docs\Administrator).

if you intend to place files into $Docs, use $Docs\newUserName, newUserName is what you will enter on logo screen.

oobe welcome?

no, when you create user from that screen, it will create a NEW user and join him into Administrators localgroup, and continue setup (RunOnceEx) with this user. it's Administrators, but not built-in administrator.

you should follow killerbee's post. when RunOnceEx runs your sfx-archive, it will extract files into new created administraor's profileDir, not built-in administrator's profileDir($Docs\Administrator).

if you intend to place files into $Docs, use $Docs\newUserName, newUserName is what you will enter on logo screen.

i see, that is when i know the newUserName folder name... wouldn't it be possible in this folder to create a standard newUserName folder under $Docs that reflects the new user name entered during the logon screen?

KillerBee's method is definitely the best... and it will save space on your CD too :)

i can think of another way, but it's pretty stupid :rolleyes: (you could put stuff in $docs\Administrator then during RunOnce `rename "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" %username% && mkdir "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator"`)

I discovered why using the $Docs\administrator doesn't work when I tried it one time - it created an administrator-PCNAME (insert actual PC Name obviously) account. So instead of fiddling around with the $Docs (and even the $progs folder now) and burning a new cd each time you need to reinstall (for programs like Agent and mIRC, which change each use - mIRC scripts and newsgroup "last update" settings and any groups added since last install - I use the following code in my prepare.cmd file.

start /wait xcopy f:\winsetup\xpprogs\*.* "c:\Program Files" /E
start /wait xcopy f:\winsetup\xpdocs\*.* "c:\Documents and settings" /E

This also eliminates the need to do any attrib -r coding, because the attributes are already set to read only off (archive).

EDIT/PS: xpdocs folder only has All Users profile start menu and desktop icons, as it's a copy from when I used to use it on the cd and hadn't bothered changing to add any administrator icons, as all icons in all users are either from xpprogs folders copied over, or from programs setup during RunOnceEX. Hope that clears things up if you're wondering anything.

$docs\Administrator could stuff it up if it creates this account before windows setup creates it....

when windows setup creates user accounts, if there is already a folder with the same name it creates a Username.Computername folder

@rustycaps - why don't you just create two self-extracting archives? it will save a bunch of space i'm guessing and the command is a bit easier :)

set them to extract to "%programfiles%" and "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings"

then you batch file could be:

for %%i in (D: E: F: G: H:) do if exist %%i\win51ip.SP1 set CDROM=%%i
start /wait %cdrom%\others\xpprogs.exe
start /wait %cdrom%\others\xpdocs.exe
exit

Space isn't really an issue for me, as the partition the files are on has about 4.5Gb free, and the 2 folders only take up 40mb. It's also easier to work with, as I have a few xcopy lines in my shutdown and restart batch files (double click desktop icon to shutdown/restart), which copy Emule/Agent/mIRC folders into the xpprogs folder, which saves me having to worry about not having them up-to-date when I reinstall - and this way I don't have to do anything to have the folders ready.

a possible solution would be to create a sfx-archive with all the user files you need and let it be automatically extracted to %USERPROFILE% while RunOnceEx.

not sure if this helps but i did it w/ winrar for my wallpapers. it reduced the 40+mb to 19mb and it installs directly into wallpaper folder and get excuted straight from the runonceex. i used the sfx compression, works like a charm.

I discovered why using the $Docs\administrator doesn't work when I tried it one time - it created an administrator-PCNAME (insert actual PC Name obviously) account.

Probably if the folder exists already - it creates a new one with the PC-Name.

Either put it in ALL USERS folders or DEFAULT USERS - or create a SFX