1 GByte CD-ROM

I have a CD with various programms in it.It's a data CD with 700 Mb capacity. When I right click on the CD in My computer, it says 693Mb total disk space. But when I browse the CD and select all the files and then right click properties, it says they are 1Gbyte!!!

I confirmed that by copying the CD to my hard disk (copy -paste). It took up 1 Gbyte of hd space!!!

So , what's the deal? Is there a way to create compressed images and fit in 1 cd-r80 more than 700Mb of executable (not zipped) files ?

with CDImage you can create a CD where identical files in different directories take up space only once. For instance you could have XP Home and XP Pro on the same CD, since many files will be the same for the two. It only works for identical files though, no compression or anything

http://unattended.msfn.org

You can grab cdimage somewhere on that site, along with instructions on how to do it.

oh he can post about it. I wouldn't go around bragging though, or link, or anything of that sort.

I have the same disc, but like him I used it to see how they made the disc. It comes in handy sometimes. I don't install anything from it, just to see how they got it to work, so I can get mine working as well.

it really irritates me how people think it's compression. Guess we'll just have to educate them all. There is some compression utilities outthere I believe, but none that would get that mcuh.....