XPCREATE

GreenMachine

@Bilou_Gateux

Just to let you know (although I'm sure you all do know this already) but I read that the XP SP2 release date has been put back to Q3 this year (october '04-ish) instead of next month so integrating it may well be completely different when the time comes.

Think there's something on the M$ site...haven't had a look yet :)

(too busy installing new 2003 servers at work and converting the existing users to the new servers - much fun)

Regards,

Nath.

GM, Yep something screwy about my machine.... I really wish i could figure it out, but it gives me issues with the hotfixes on all 5 of my hard drives and they have plenty of space, but on another system success the first time. If you have any insite it would be great, also great app. Brian

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible not to install some hotfixes? For example, I don't want to install the windows media hotfixes because I'm planning to use nLite to remove windows media player. How should I do this with xpcreate? Since xpcreate downloaded all of the hotfixes already, should I just remove all the ones that aren't needed and remove the url from the xpcreate.ini and double click on xpcreate.cmd to recreate the iso? Thx

Hi

I got another idea for the downloads:

If anyone is using a Microsoft SUS Server all (probably the most) hotfixes and service packs are already downloaded by SUS and stored in a distict location an the server for being published to the attached clients.

Why not first check this location before downloading from the (perhaps slow and expensive) internet?

I sent a PM to GreenMachine to hear his opinion first.

But any comments on this are welcome!

Greetings

Frank

Oh, I got another thing:

As of the failure with the service pack (see my post from June 9th in other topic) I asked myself whether it would be good/useful to exit with an error message, if the service pack could not be downloaded successfully as this is an integral part of the update process.

Up to now (version of 05 JUN 2004) there will only be an message of the MD5 failure in the log and the program continues.

Greetings

Frank

@hevnbnd: Glad that one was easy!

@Sgt_Strider: Change DLAUTO to NO in XPCREATE.INI, and remove the offensive hotfixes. They will not come back till next web download.

@frankiboy_01: About the SUS, something i may consider in a future version, but not right now. About the download errors, the way it is deigned to work is continue downloading, report the download error when all possible files have been downloaded, and gracefully exit. There may be a slight logic flaw in the code, so that it continues to crate the ISO. I'll look a little later.

@frankiboy_01: About the SUS, something i may consider in a future version, but not right now.

Hi GreenMachine,

SUS: OK if you plan to do this. Feel free to use/modify the code I sent to you via PM!

I'm just creating a CD with the modified code and it works fine for me using the files from SUS that are already downloaded.

Thanks for your great work and GO ON WITH IT!

Greetings

Frank.

Just curious, when starting up xpcreate.cmd, it says that I'm missing the boot file. By copying the xpctboot.bin file from a previous version of xpcreate that includes it and copy it to the boot folder of the xpctest, is it correct? Because it works once I copy it into there. Thx

Another thing that I don't quite understand is that why does xpctest attempts to download all the updates when only some of them applies? For example, by checking the unattended forum and the hotfix list, it tells me to use only a fraction of the hotfixes that xpctest downloads. Why is that?

Because there is one list, and I pick 'em.

Edit XPCREATE.INI, change DLAUTO=YES to DLAUTO=NO, and you XPCREATE will not attempt to download any.

For more information about how I select hotfixes for the list, have a gander at the XPCREATE Web Site. I should have a link or two in my signature.