outlook express folders

mike13

I have a new computer that I just loaded Windows XP Pro. How can I copy the folders that I set up on my old computer in Outlook Express that was running Windows Me. In the past, I would go into Windows, Application Data, All Identities, 50394753839 (many numbers), MIcrosoft, Outlook Express. At that point I would copy all the DBX files to a floppy. Then I would go to the same place on the new computer and copy the DBX files, and everything worked. But I do not see the same path listed here with XP. I have maybe 200 letters in several of those folders that I would like to keep. Thanks for your help. Mike

mike if you create one mail account on your xp machine it will create the required folders.... then you can copy you excisting DBX files over the into that folder

Could you not just select all mail in your Outlook Folder, copy, paste to floppy (zipped possibly) or if theres big e-mail then burn to a CD. Then when you set up your account in XP just drag them in?! This worked for me with Outlook, should work with Outlook Express.

I recommend putting the mail folder on another drive/partition.

Let's say, you have the OS on C:\ and you have a drive or partition on D:\ for backup/storage purposes.

Create a new folder on D:\ called Mail Storage or something, place all your mail and newsgroup folders and files in there.

Whenver you've cleanly formatted C:\ and installed Windows, you can open up OE (it will have no mails) Go to the Options > Maintenance > Store Folder > and then change to D:\Mail Sorage\ and OK it. Restart OE.

Magically all your mail and newsgroups will appear, without any backing up or restoring done.

Bad side is.. you need advanced backup utilities to backup the message rules and blocked senders list. Use what Blackwar recommended.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I deceided to foward the mesages from my old computer by SELECTING ALL for each of the five folders that I had created. Mike