Unattended W2K please help

Hi everybody,

I searched a lot in the forum, but couldn't find...

I'm workin' on an Unattended W2K-Installation (Slipstreamed SP4) - including Hotfixes as described in your gread guides. As I'm thinking that's foolish or not possible to for example install the hotfix (security update for ie6) before ie6 is already installed, I want to install ie6 before !

But how is it possible, because the installation of ie6 forces reboot & that's why the rest of my install.cmd (the same if I would use runonceex I think) will not be executed !?

Is there a way to add commands for the "next time reboot" ? - Help would be very much appreciated !

Ander

my suggestion would be to check how XPCREATE creates the IE6 package. The one that is used in it does not require a reboot.

And RunOnceEX would be different. If the process is interrupted in the middle, when it restarts it should start where it left off.

thx for your hint !

I tried now with runonce.cmd, but...

Nothing happened !

Does RunOnce also "runs" under W2K ?

my: RunOnceEx.Cmd

####

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installiere Anwendungen" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Internet Explorer 6..." /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\ie6\ie6setup.exe /Q" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Hotfixes (Blaster)..." /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\KB823980.exe -u -n -z" /f

EXIT

####

I copied: RunOnceEx.cmd and cmdlines.txt as needed in my $OEM$ folder

BTW: If I execute RunOnceEx.cmd no changes take effect in my registry !!!

Thanks in advance, Ander

I tried using runonceex.cmd in Win2k as well, and found same thing, but found a post on here somewhere about how to do a 'proper' unattended 2k install, where you have to do the reg add thing differently. I ended up just doing what I used to do before runonceex and made a batch file to run the apps and patches setup - worked just the same, except in a DOS windows rather than a pretty GUI window.

As I figured it out now :), I want to let you all know:

My file "Reg.Exe" (not included under W2K), I downloaded, had the wrong version !! - That's why I got error: too many command-line parameters.

After downloading the right one - as a part of the W2K SP4 Support Tools - you can get it here: RunOnceEx.Cmd's work fine now & and as Alanoll posted: Every command will be executed, although of rebooting. - And that's the main difference instead of using batch-files, I think.

As you discovered, there is no REG.EXE included with WIN2K. For information, the REG.EXE used in Windows 2003 Server has even more functionality than the XP version.

And as homiebrah pointed out, starting IE6SETUP with the /R:N switch avoids a reboot.

Careful when using IE in conjunction with RunOnceEx, as IE adds keys to RunOnceEx, for execution on next boot.

thx for your comments !

At the moment I prefer: ie6setup.exe /Q (inc. Reboot) and my solution for the rest RunOnceEx.Commands is:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Internet Explorer 6..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\ie6\ie6setup.exe /Q" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Hotfix Q832894 (IE6 Patch)..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\Q832894.exe /q:a /r:n" /f

end with leaving "keys" empty between - IE-Setup finishes installation after rebooting, before the rest of my commands will be executed.

I think finishing IE-Setup completely before installing the IE6-Hotfixes makes more sense.....

unfortunately I've got a new problem, which makes my unattended installation not "perfect":

As I described above - the IE6 installation forces reboot, but:

I have to logon as administrator with mouse-click or enter.

I tried a lot, but cannot find the right location to run my autologon.reg file. (afterwards it works btw)

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY= HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installiere Anwendungen und Updates" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Installing Tweak Utilities" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\INSTALL\Tweak\tweakui.inf" /f

...and so on til the end of file:

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\AutoLogon.reg

EXIT

my AutoLogon.Reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

I also tried to run it, before runonceex.cmd in cmdlines.txt, but hadn't either effect.

Thanks for your help...

(BTW: The only Hotfix, which doesn't work "silent" under W2K - and I tried also on different locations - is the KB832483 (MDAC). And I read all threads about and tried syntax as described, of course. No I run it with

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\Q832483.exe /Q" /f

and the user has to click "OK" for installation & then it's really updated. Maybe there's a difference between W2K and WXP?)

Autologon is specified in the winnt.sif:

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=**********

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=99

There is no difference in MDAC between 2K and XP. Syntax is:

ENG_Q832483_MDAC_X86.EXE /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

homiebrah:

thanks for your response ! Right now my winnt.sif

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=5

but second restart/logon doesn't work automated. (I'll try AutoLogonCount 99 next time...)

And I tried several times your mentioned (and in the forum found) MDAC-syntax & it "seems" to install, but when I start Windows-Update afterwards - MDAC remains as an important update. If I install it manually it's updated correct!?

OK this questions has to do with the Reg.exe in windows 2000. I have not been able to get my RunOnceEx.cmd to run correctly. I noticed this and am wondering how do you get reg.exe into the install ?

Is it a file replace or a script to run durning the install ??

unfortunately I've got a new problem, which makes my unattended installation not "perfect":

As I described above - the IE6 installation forces reboot, but:

I have to logon as administrator with mouse-click or enter.

Download and use the Internet Explorer Administration Kit to create a flat install.

It will allow you to customize IE, add post reboot patches (which it will stick in RunOnce for you, and select an option that allows the post reboot portion to complete without admin rights.

how do you get reg.exe into the install--> just copy reg.exe into your $OEM$\$$\System32\

that way it will be copied to the system32 folder and your reg add .... will work. I have it setup that way

reg.exe comes from XP CD. Works under windows 2000 just fine