How do I make Multi-Boot XP/ME ?

ThA_FiLeR

I was wondering how I could add Windows ME as a second boot because I need ME to host servers for one of my fav games that lags allot with XP. Others who messed with all of the OS claimed that 98 would even be better but im sticking with Windows ME for this one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

get hold of partition magic 7, split off however much of your dirve you need for winME (do this to the right side of XP files in partition magic)

whack in your winme cd, reboot.

when it asks for a drive to install to select your new partition.

it will install as normal, when you reboot you will get the option before the bootscreen for what OS you want, something like

"select operatiing system to boot:

1) windows XP pro C:\

2) windows ME sucks a** E:\"

i forget what exactly it says, but something along those lines, you can disable that screen if you want to boot into me only occasionally, and your pc will boot as normally. if you want to know that too ill tell you how.

your not daft i dont think i need to go into much more detail.. if you need any pointers just give me a shout filer :)

The best answer to your question is.....

1. Format

2. create 2 partitions

3. install WinMe (if you must)

4. install WinXP - and it will set up dual boot for you.

If you cannot do that because you have to keep your installed Windows XP for some reason - try reading through the info at this link. It is for adding Win98 - but you should be able to add WinME following the steps.

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/25.htm#multib

Good luck!

LS_Dragons

Got a question, If i make a backup of my WinXP drive and format my drive and make it a C and a D drive could I instal ME on D and just put my old C backup back to C again when i got done installing ME on D?

Oh, and i know WINME blows, but ill only use it to host a **** game other then that ill always stick with XP!

Got a question, If i make a backup of my WinXP drive and format my drive and make it a C and a D drive could I instal ME on D and just put my old C backup back to C again when i got done installing ME on D?

Well it depends, if you run Ntfs you can not...ntfs systems terminat the disk chain and make anything after it no acciable to boot from. But if you run Xp in Fat32 you can...i wouldent reccomend that considering that Ntfs is what makes Xp so smooth,stable and protected. If you want to Dual boot with Ntfs the fat32 system must be on the C: partition...

:)

-Drew

All my drives are fat so ill just make 2 partitions and install ME on D and put my XP Ghost backup back to C. Thanks for the help.

If you do that, then WinME won't boot anymore, even if you installed it to D:\ it still places the boot files on C:\

I had a similar scenario when I first install win2k, then installed win98. Everything went wrong.

You should do as LS Dragons said:

1. Format

2. create 2 partitions

3. install WinMe (if you must)

4. install WinXP - and it will set up dual boot for you.

This is because WinXP will recognise WinME, XP is newer and knows about previous Operating systems, it cannot be done vice versa.

There may be third party bootloader apps that will allow you to install WinME when you already have XP installed, try doing some research on Google, and check out PowerQuest's Bootmagic software.

This is what i have done so far.... I kept XP on my C of my SCSI HD and use my F partition of my SCSI HD for Windows ME I was installing it till it needed to reboot during installation, so it booted up into XP again how would I get that menu to appear so i could select ME and so I could finish installing ME....

on thing, have you ever tried to install windows ME using a kind of emulation program like VMWare or virtual pc? Because these emulate almost any OS you want it to emulate and they work flawlessly..

you can see more of what i mean here : http://www.suse.de/en/products/software/vi...creenshots.html

Just thought i'd ask since it would make it a LOT easier :)

Blackwar