MSUS- Software update services

I set up MSUS on my W2k3 Server, synchronized the databases. At this point, all I should have to do is set Group Policies;

This is my problem, I can't seem to find how and where to do that; I do have Windows 2003 server, but in French and I'm having trouble finding the paths.

Maybe if someone explains me in his own words I'd get a better idea than the Microsoft Knowledge Base that doesn't help me at all.

So if someone can give me an example I'd appreciate a lot.

you need wuau.adm in the templates container of the GPO

( if "windows update"-node is not available right-klik administrative templates en choos "add templates" and give path to wuau.adm)

then it is in computer configuration->administrative templates->windows components -> windows update

sorry, don't know that in french

gr /\/\o\/\/

Ok but first of all, to manage group policies, I have to use MMC, then add a group strategy right?

I have gone through that, did get to the Windows Updates settings. Now I get this file called rsop.msc. Is that the GP setting? I'm not too sure.

Everywhere I read info they say:

"computer configuration->administrative templates->windows components -> windows update"

just like you did, but from where do i start?

Are you or do you plan to have all your computers logging in as members of this domain?

In the meantime, place these two files in the same directory and run the bat file on the client computers. You can rename the bat file to a short name. Make sure that the AutomaticUpdate service is running on the client and not disabled.

Edit:

Forgot to point out that you must edit the reg file to point to your server name!

update.zip

Thanks BeenThere, very nice of you!

But should I have been able to set up my clients from GP only? Or do you have to force it with the reg file?

By the way, I deleted my AD and rebuilt it, works better now because I have fixed some errors. So I made new GPs.

Another thing tho, is that whenever I tried accessing the updates site with domain user login, I get the under construction html page :) and my IIS settings look fine. Any ideas?

You certainly could have forced the SUS updates through Group Policy.

Frankly, although I am familiar with GPOs and Active Directory, etc, I'm not an expert in this part of it. I can accomplish what I need to in the GPO area by persistance rather than brillance. Perhaps, someone else will answer those questions.