Select Partition and Filesystem

now that i have learned a lot about automatic installation processes i have a new question. when in the winnt.sif file i add...

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

[unattended]

FileSystem=*

...and then test it in a system running w98se, install automatically updates my system to xp and don't let me choose a new installation in other HardDisk. what i want is to select only the HD and filesystem in the installation process. i include my winnt.sif file for review. thanks

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattend

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Repartition=No

UnattendSwitch="yes"

WaitForReboot=No

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

FileSystem=*

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=105

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

FullName="BioHaZaRD"

OrgName="BioHaZaRD iND. CoRP."

ComputerName=BARTON

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=34

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language=0000040a

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=0160

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking - do you want to dual boot with Win98SE? I'm not sure how to set that up with an unattended install.

If you simply want to be able to format the drive (I'm assuming want to go from FAT32 to NTFS), the only way is to delete the partition you want to install to and recreate it. You'll then be given the option of what file system you want to format it with.

sorry maybe i didn't explain to well. what i want is run the installation from w98se (c:) and install xp updating w98 or the posibility of selecting an unallocated space (D:) to install a clean/new SO. all with the dialog of filesystem format. thanks

if you did it THROUGH win98, you have to select New Installation from the box that gives you the setup choices. Otherwise it will not format, or do anything with the partitions.

As for unallocated space, if it is D:, then it's allocated. If you mean unused space, you'll have to resize the partition, but Windows XP setup can't do that.

I personally don't have the Filesystem line in my setup. However, the only way that I know of with using a winnt.sif file, is to select Unalloated space. Not a partition, but unallocated space. Like Ryan said, to delete a partition, then create a new one and you'll get the dialog.

i didn't mean what you think. i'm building a fulll unattended installation and the only thing i want to select it's the partition and filesystem i want to use. in a full unattended install the dialog that let u select update or new installation doesn't display so your not able to select the unit of destination, it automatically takes the unit C: and updates it to winxp. (sorry about my english maybe that it's why u can't understand what i mean :) )

if you select an already existing partition, you cannot select to have it formatted or converted to ntfs....

the only way you can format the drive is

1) Delete the partition (in setup) and re-create it, it will ask what filesystem you want

2) Set FileSystem=ConvertNTFS , this way if you select a FAT32 partition it will be converted to NTFS, if you select an NTFS partition it will stay NTFS without format. But you don't get a choice it just does this automatically.

Try the following;

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   UnattendSwitch="yes"
   FileSystem=*
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition=No
   WaitForReboot="No"
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   ProgramFilesDir="C:\My Program Files"
   CommonProgramFilesDir="C:\My Program Files\My Common Files"
   KeyboardLayout="United Kingdom"

I use it like this - it gives me full unattended APART FROM choosing partition and file system - which is what you wanted (I think).

<SparTacuS>